psychology jobs and internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cayetana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say that someone wants to plan ahead at the bachelor level to eventually pursue a PhD in psychology and work in clinical practice.

Besides getting good grades, what would you recommend they do in undergrad in terms of improving their chances to get into a PhD? More specifically, what kind of internships are valuable, and how does one improve their chances to get such internships while in undergrad?

Are there any good web sites you like that list jobs for all levels of psychology degrees (what can you do with a BA, with an MA, with a PhD in Psychology)?

I'm basically asking for my boyfriend who is starting college later in life (he's 32). He is almost finished with general requirements at community college and looking to transfer to a university. He would like to major in psych but he doesn't know what internships to look for especially that will want him with his limited background (he's worked in restaurants and such up to this point so nothing on a resume that would help much). So, since it's about a year in advance, maybe there are some things he could do now to look into what kind of internships there are and what he can do to prepare to get one. We're in Kentucky... but depending on where (and if) I get into a PhD program we might move.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.