Psychology Major but interested in Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does major matter when applying to MD-PhD programs?

I have a summer's worth of bioinformatics research, a summer of part time computational neuroscience, as well as some psychology research on genetic bases of differences in human's cognition (mainly statistical analyses of large online experiments).

Should I aim to get some wetlab genetics experience? I'm interested in genetics/genomics and would really love to explore this more and I think I have a strong background given that I've taken the pre-med pre-reqs and took more stats and math than generally required for psychology majors (kind of knew I wanted to do some kind of quantitative research from the get go).

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter as much as the quality of your research experiences. If you are interested in genetics, then take a class if available. Regarding the research experience, if that is what you think that you want, try to find a lab that can take you for the summer (and hopefully, the academic year at lesser number of hours).