Psychology Masters into Clinical PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychman23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any masters programs that are seperate yet lead directly to the clinical PHD program at a University? I know medical schools have a one/two year bridge program for students, do any Psychology programs offer this? I need to take a few more psychology courses before I would consider myself a strong candidate for a clinical PHD.

Thanks,
D

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any masters programs that are seperate yet lead directly to the clinical PHD program at a University? I know medical schools have a one/two year bridge program for students, do any Psychology programs offer this? I need to take a few more psychology courses before I would consider myself a strong candidate for a clinical PHD.

Thanks,
D

The New School for Social Research has an MA in General Psychology which has a semi-direct route into its PhD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although, I don't know any schools off hand, this might be more common than what initially appears. Most schools offer a psych MA -- without an MA grad students can not teach/lecture at most local universities/colleges. In some cases, you may have to apply to the doctorate program, only to apply to the MA program while in the doctorate program in order to get an MA.

Does anyone know of any masters programs with good funding?

Thanks,
D

This is a decent article on masters programs in psychology that addresses the issue of whether credits from masters programs will transfer to Ph.D. programs. If money or time is an issue, you might want to consider spending the next year taking some additional psych classes as an extension student and working in a psych lab as either a research assistant or an intern, rather than getting a masters degree.

http://www.psichi.org/pubs/articles/article_90.asp