Psychology PhD/PsyD Applications Fall 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_cigar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all prospective applicants (and others)!

I noticed there wasn't a thread yet for the 2020 application cycle, which would be useful as deadlines approach.

Not sure what the norm is for content, but I'll start us off.

This is my second time applying to clinical psychology programs. I submitted last year with bare minimum qualifications, mediocre GRE scores and insufficient research experience. 2019 has been eventful! I got a full-time research assistant gig at a well-respected government trauma research center. I increased all sections of my GRE score. And I have a flipping fantastic research mentor who has helped me refine my career and research goals. Whew. My focus is maternal functioning in the context of adversity and violence, and how trauma negatively impacts parenting and the parent-child relationship (specifically for mothers). I'm both terrified and excited for the future possibilities!

How is everyone else doing? Are apps going well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1/10 submitted for me so far! I’m not clinical. My programs are social, psych and law or experimental psych. Spoken to a few PIs and feel I have a good shot at my top choice.

I don't know what the norm is either for this type of thread, seeing as I'm fairly new to sdn myself.

I guess I'll say that I'm applying for clinical psych PhD programs right now. I'm cutting my application submissions really close to the deadline, but I just scraped together the money for GRE scores + transcripts + app fees. I want to go into military psychology and my top school is USUHS; however, I'm prepared to go to one of the other schools on my list if I get an offer. I feel like I have a decent chance, but I'm sure there are also some amazing applicants. So I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Good luck to everyone this application cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
1/10 submitted for me so far! I’m not clinical. My programs are social, psych and law or experimental psych. Spoken to a few PIs and feel I have a good shot at my top choice.

Awesome! Sounds like you are on the right track. I've also spoken with some PI's and the emails/talks have gone well. Also have a super last minute Skype call this coming Monday.

I don't know what the norm is either for this type of thread, seeing as I'm fairly new to sdn myself.

I guess I'll say that I'm applying for clinical psych PhD programs right now. I'm cutting my application submissions really close to the deadline, but I just scraped together the money for GRE scores + transcripts + app fees. I want to go into military psychology and my top school is USUHS; however, I'm prepared to go to one of the other schools on my list if I get an offer. I feel like I have a decent chance, but I'm sure there are also some amazing applicants. So I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Good luck to everyone this application cycle!
I'm also new to SDN! As in, created an account this afternoon new.

The expense of applying is insane. And I know the expenses will just keep on rolling in. Military psychology is very cool! Any particular emphasis?

I'm glad this seems to be needed/useful! Discussing applications can help with the load of stress.

Good luck. Might want to start an interview thread when it gets to that time as well.

I recall starting a rejection thread my application year, which was helpful.

Good luck. Might want to start an interview thread when it gets to that time as well.

I recall starting a rejection thread my application year, which was helpful.
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely start both of those threads when December 1st rolls around - maybe those will get more traction than this thread.

Honestly, I’m keeping most of my info to myself. The negativity and unwanted comments on this board in the past have made me wary of posting personal information, stats, specific schools, etc. I’ll likely only post when/if I get an interview/accepted.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, I’m keeping most of my info to myself. The negativity and unwanted comments on this board in the past have made me wary of posting personal information, stats, specific schools, etc. I’ll likely only post when/if I get an interview/accepted.
Makes sense, online forums aren't always the best place for feedback. I find sites like this to be most helpful for venting/sharing struggles as not many people in my personal life can appreciate the stress of application season. That said, I'm most excited for an interview thread, as interview data is usually the most helpful to ease anxieties about whether or not an interview request will come through.
Best of luck to you in the rest of the process!

Yup, that’s why there’s been a mass exodus of most doctoral psychology student applicants going to the GradCafe Psychology forums, while those already established in their field can sit on their ivory thrones here on SDN.

Yup, that’s why there’s been a mass exodus of most doctoral psychology student applicants going to the GradCafe Psychology forums, while those already established in their field can sit on their ivory thrones here on SDN.
And that's the trade-off. Complain all you want about "negativity," "unwanted comments," and "ivory thrones" here, but at least you get good, honest advice from people who are actually practicing in the field, are faculty in clinical or counseling programs, are training directors or faculty at internship sites, or otherwise qualified to give accurate advice.

Conversely, Gradcafe is mostly just hopeful applicants and some grad students pontificating about things above their pay grade while whispering sweet nothings in each other's ears instead of being realistic and honest.

I'd rather go with the former and have a better chance of getting into grad school than get misinformation that makes me feel better about myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
And that's the trade-off. Complain all you want about "negativity," "unwanted comments," and "ivory thrones" here, but at least you get good, honest advice from people who are actually practicing in the field, are faculty in clinical or counseling programs, are training directors or faculty at internship sites, or otherwise qualified to give accurate advice.

Conversely, Gradcafe is mostly just hopeful applicants and some grad students pontificating about things above their pay grade while whispering sweet nothings in each other's ears instead of being realistic and honest.

I'd rather go with the former and have a better chance of getting into grad school than get misinformation that makes me feel better about myself.

Shhh, there is fragility about.

• Haha

As a current grad student who is not as well known on here (but actually highly known over there, 200+ upvotes), I agree largely with your sentiment. I often find myself trying to offer honest, frank advice, yet I'm shouting into an echo chamber of often baseless positivity.

People love surrounding themselves with sources congruent with their own biases. It makes for a rude awakening and bad preparation for our field (which is predicated with a need for direct supervision and discussion).

Reactions: 3 users
Can I ask for some honest advice? It has been radio silence from my only academic letter writer since late August (when she agreed to write the letter for me). She also wrote a letter for me last year, so I wasn’t expecting any issues again this year. However, none of her letters have been submitted for me and she has not responded to a reminder email, voicemail, or a Facebook message.
I have been out of school for 5 years and don’t have anyone else who knows me academically who could step in and write letters for me this late. Should I just cross my fingers and hope she gets them in on time, or should I seek a last-minute letter from a PhD I work with currently in my full-time RA job?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Can I ask for some honest advice? It has been radio silence from my only academic letter writer since late August (when she agreed to write the letter for me). She also wrote a letter for me last year, so I wasn’t expecting any issues again this year. However, none of her letters have been submitted for me and she has not responded to a reminder email, voicemail, or a Facebook message.
I have been out of school for 5 years and don’t have anyone else who knows me academically who could step in and write letters for me this late. Should I just cross my fingers and hope she gets them in on time, or should I seek a last-minute letter from a PhD I work with currently in my full-time RA job?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi! I’d probably ask someone else if she hasn’t replied at all. It’s not uncommon for letter writers to be last minute, but it’s concerning she’s ignoring all your communication. My one recommender is writing mine today, but she communicated that with me, so I am fine.
if your applications are due 12/1 though, I am not sure you’re going to be able to find anyone this late considering the holiday and they’ll likely realize they’re a last-minute choice or may think you’re not very organized to wait this long. Is this person still teaching at the college? Can you call their office phone?

Hi! I’d probably ask someone else if she hasn’t replied at all. It’s not uncommon for letter writers to be last minute, but it’s concerning she’s ignoring all your communication. My one recommender is writing mine today, but she communicated that with me, so I am fine.
if your applications are due 12/1 though, I am not sure you’re going to be able to find anyone this late considering the holiday and they’ll likely realize they’re a last-minute choice or may think you’re not very organized to wait this long. Is this person still teaching at the college? Can you call their office phone?

Thanks for your response! I have called her office but the university is on break all this week so I left a voicemail but am not hopeful she will receive it. I’m planning on sending another email and/or FB message tomorrow morning and then going to plan B.

Luckily, I have been chatting with a neuropsychologist who I have worked with closely here for the past 3 years who said today he is willing to write me a last-minute letter. So I do have that option if needed, but that would leave me with no academic LORs. Starting to feel like this will hurt my chances no matter what...

Thanks for your response! I have called her office but the university is on break all this week so I left a voicemail but am not hopeful she will receive it. I’m planning on sending another email and/or FB message tomorrow morning and then going to plan B.

Luckily, I have been chatting with a neuropsychologist who I have worked with closely here for the past 3 years who said today he is willing to write me a last-minute letter. So I do have that option if needed, but that would leave me with no academic LORs. Starting to feel like this will hurt my chances no matter what...

Do the schools you’re applying to specifically ask for academics LORs? If so, yeah that’s an issue, but otherwise you’re probably fine. Especially since this person knows you now vs. 5 years ago and can likely speak to your research skills. I assume you’re doing research, but maybe not. If your stats are otherwise competitive, it may be less of an issue, but maybe someone on an adcom can chime in.

I'd go with the neuropsychologist regardless. You haven't worked with the other psychologist for five years, correct? The neuropsychologist knows you more recently and for a substantial period of time. This goes double if you've done research with the neuropsychologist or want to go into neuro.

All my apps are submitted! Almost had a panic attack waiting for my last letter writer to submit her LOR...she kept me on my toes until late last night.
How is everyone else doing?
I'm going to start an interview thread soon to track those invites as they roll in!
:cool:

Good luck everyone! This process is exhausting and my biggest piece of advice is to not compare yourself to others, everyone has their own unique fit with programs and expectations for their future. Be nice to yourself! :)

• Sad
Almost had a panic attack waiting for my last letter writer to submit her LOR...she kept me on my toes until late last night.

Although I'm not typically a "just before deadline" type person, I imagine a few of my students were in a similar state the past several days waiting for me to submit their letters. Sorry! :panda:

• Haha
Although I'm not typically a "just before deadline" type person, I imagine a few of my students were in a similar state the past several days waiting for me to submit their letters. Sorry! :panda:
I'm not sure why we didn't change our deadline this year to have it be farther from the Thanksgiving break to make life less stressful for everyone. I'm going to try and make a point to discuss that each year.

Now it's on to reviewing these applications. Just as a note to everyone - this is an extremely competitive process and its often hard to make decisions on our end as well. Just because you don't get invited does not mean that we were not impressed with your application. There are often limits on how many people we can invite.

Hi fellow applicants, how are you holding up? I have a ton of nervous energy right now waiting to hear back from programs, and although I know logically I won't hear for a few weeks based on previous cycle data, it hasn't stopped me from impulsively refreshing my email and GradCafe. What are you doing to stay sane??

I still have two more apps to do that have late datelines. So, I’m distracted by those! I’m not a clinical person though, so I think it’s slightly different for my area.

I still have two more apps to do that have late datelines. So, I’m distracted by those! I’m not a clinical person though, so I think it’s slightly different for my area.
Nice, hope those remaining applications are going well!
I thought I'd be relieved once mine were all submitted, but the waiting game to hear back from interviews might be even worse?!

It's a bit early to be worrying about this already, but what are folks thoughts about emailing POI's and asking how to strengthen your app for their lab (well after the process is over, like late April) for the next cycle?
There were two labs I felt very confident about at least getting interviews for, but it seems like invites have gone out for these two programs and I'm feeling a bit disheartened. One I had an informational Skype call with, and one was very informative over email, so I know they are responsive in general.
Thanks!

It's a bit early to be worrying about this already, but what are folks thoughts about emailing POI's and asking how to strengthen your app for their lab (well after the process is over, like late April) for the next cycle?
There were two labs I felt very confident about at least getting interviews for, but it seems like invites have gone out for these two programs and I'm feeling a bit disheartened. One I had an informational Skype call with, and one was very informative over email, so I know they are responsive in general.
Thanks!

I know it’s difficult, but I think it is helpful to remember that labs are often only able to invite 3-4 applicants, and that it may not reflect the strength of your application. I was on the application committee a few years in my grad program and one year it was impossible to cut the list for one lab beyond the top 16 because there were so many awesome applicants. The POI was only able to invite 3 applicants so they ended up having to lean on recommendations by folks they personally knew as well as having phone/skype interviews. Another year, that same lab was lucky to get 2 decent applicants.

With all that said, I think it’s totally fine to reach out to the POIs reiterating your interest in their work, and asking how you could improve your application to be more competitive next year!

Reactions: 1 users
I know it’s difficult, but I think it is helpful to remember that labs are often only able to invite 3-4 applicants, and that it may not reflect the strength of your application. I was on the application committee a few years in my grad program and one year it was impossible to cut the list for one lab beyond the top 16 because there were so many awesome applicants. The POI was only able to invite 3 applicants so they ended up having to lean on recommendations by folks they personally knew as well as having phone/skype interviews. Another year, that same lab was lucky to get 2 decent applicants.

With all that said, I think it’s totally fine to reach out to the POIs reiterating your interest in their work, and asking how you could improve your application to be more competitive next year!

I really appreciate your input. It can be very difficult to not take rejections personally, even knowing how competitive programs are and the statistical probability of acceptance. It only takes one interview and one acceptance to make the dream a reality, so I'm holding out hope that the right program for me will give me a chance!

Did anyone here apply to UO's clinical psychology program? They are historically one of the first to send out invites (at least for the schools I applied to) but haven't seen that anyone has received an invite yet.
Thanks!

Thanks!
After I extended invites I had a few applicants email and request info on how to be more competitive. I gave detailed feedback about why I had passed on those persons. The feedback is, as usually is the case, related to research output.

I wouldnt harass them between now and shortly after new years. Applicants can be extremely competitive and the decisions are hard.

After I extended invites I had a few applicants email and request info on how to be more competitive. I gave detailed feedback about why I had passed on those persons. The feedback is, as usually is the case, related to research output.

I wouldnt harass them between now and shortly after new years. Applicants can be extremely competitive and the decisions are hard.
Thanks for the feedback, definitely wasn't planning on reaching out until after the interview weekends.

Hi all. I'm new to posting here, though lurking for awhile. I asked a question in another thread about UCSB's Counseling, Clinical, School Psych Combined Phd. Basically been wondering if there was any hope at this point or are all the interviews extended? I know I have seen others wondering about this program on this and TGC, so I thought I'd share the info that I have been (obsessively) board checking for this week. I contacted the program today and was told the first round interviews were all done in December and that the invites have already gone out for in-person interviews.

So bummed. Not only was this my top school choice for years but due to circumstances I've only been able to apply to a few schools this round and it was my first attempt actually applying to this particular program. UCSB was the only option I had this year with decent funding, plus my family live near there. It is really important for me to move close to the area, as my mother has Alzheimer's and her condition is deteriorating, and my sister has MS and is disabled and my father needs more assistance with caregiving my mom and sister. Sorry to wallow in my own pity party but this day has been nothing but unfortunate surprises. I have 4 children and my husband also told me today that he is filing for divorce.

What a way to start the new year.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for any other UCSB CCSP hopefuls still waiting.

• Wow
Given the above situation, I have a question for you all. I have an acceptance at one school currently, which is Palo Alto University PhD. I have also applied for the PGSP-Stanford PsyD Consortium, mainly because from what I can find out the research and clinical opportunities in that program may be superior to the PhD. Both programs have close to 100% APA internship match rates (The PsyD has been 100% for a few years and the PhD is close, 97% I believe. The faculty, training, education etc. all seem to be pretty great, though I hear mixed reviews about reputation on these boards going back many years, it seems a lot of that has been ironed out in recent years. The main problem is the price tag. I don't know yet if I will be interviewed yet for the PsyD (the app deadline just closed), but should an offer come from that program as well, is there anything anyone here knows for a reason to choose one of these over the other? I know that the Stanford-affiliated PsyD is significantly more competitive, but it also costs about 5-6k more per year. However, it is possible there are better funding options there as well ( I keep trying to get a straight answer on the funding, and hearing different things, so who knows).

I guess I am also wondering given my circumstances (4 kids, verge of divorce, need to stay in the state for family reasons), what would you do? Would you give both of these programs a miss? I have considered applying to Fielding as well (the only distance-model APA accred program out there that I know of). Fielding is pricy with no funding, but less pricey than the PAU programs, with an advantage being no need to move to a particular area, for at least several years. If anyone here has experience or knowledge about Fielding I welcome your input as well?

I'm really kind of in a state of shock today and need to figure out what to do, find my path forward. Despite all the crazy circumstances, I have worked really hard to get where I am, two Master's degrees, etc. My graduate GPA is 4.0 for both degrees, but I suppose schools only care about undergrad grades that I got a million hears ago (ha!). I could scrap all the school ideas and start over applying this Fall to more funded programs, but am limited geographically. CA has some awesome APA and Clinical Science programs which have great funding packages in great areas to live but are exceedingly competitive: UCLA, UCSD, BERKELEY, USC... UCSB was probably the least competitive so if I didn't get even a prelim interview there, I doubt I would at the other schools.

Hope it's alright to post these questions in this thread? Let me know if would be better to start my own (woe is me) thread!

Given the above situation, I have a question for you all. I have an acceptance at one school currently, which is Palo Alto University PhD. I have also applied for the PGSP-Stanford PsyD Consortium, mainly because from what I can find out the research and clinical opportunities in that program may be superior to the PhD. Both programs have close to 100% APA internship match rates (The PsyD has been 100% for a few years and the PhD is close, 97% I believe. The faculty, training, education etc. all seem to be pretty great, though I hear mixed reviews about reputation on these boards going back many years, it seems a lot of that has been ironed out in recent years. The main problem is the price tag. I don't know yet if I will be interviewed yet for the PsyD (the app deadline just closed), but should an offer come from that program as well, is there anything anyone here knows for a reason to choose one of these over the other? I know that the Stanford-affiliated PsyD is significantly more competitive, but it also costs about 5-6k more per year. However, it is possible there are better funding options there as well ( I keep trying to get a straight answer on the funding, and hearing different things, so who knows).

I guess I am also wondering given my circumstances (4 kids, verge of divorce, need to stay in the state for family reasons), what would you do? Would you give both of these programs a miss? I have considered applying to Fielding as well (the only distance-model APA accred program out there that I know of). Fielding is pricy with no funding, but less pricey than the PAU programs, with an advantage being no need to move to a particular area, for at least several years. If anyone here has experience or knowledge about Fielding I welcome your input as well?

I'm really kind of in a state of shock today and need to figure out what to do, find my path forward. Despite all the crazy circumstances, I have worked really hard to get where I am, two Master's degrees, etc. My graduate GPA is 4.0 for both degrees, but I suppose schools only care about undergrad grades that I got a million hears ago (ha!). I could scrap all the school ideas and start over applying this Fall to more funded programs, but am limited geographically. CA has some awesome APA and Clinical Science programs which have great funding packages in great areas to live but are exceedingly competitive: UCLA, UCSD, BERKELEY, USC... UCSB was probably the least competitive so if I didn't get even a prelim interview there, I doubt I would at the other schools.

Hope it's alright to post these questions in this thread? Let me know if would be better to start my own (woe is me) thread!

How do you plan to live as a single mom with 4 kids and $200k (at the very least) in debt? I would absolutely urge you not to attend PAU or PGSP. I know a number of folks from these programs, and it seems like they’ve gotten excellent training, but the majority of them came from wealthy families so they didn’t have to take on any debt.

What I would do? Wait another year, get some more research experience, and re-apply to UCSB next year. Or consider other options like the MSW, depending on what your overall goals are.

I’m really sorry that you’re going through a difficult time right now.

How do you plan to live as a single mom with 4 kids and $200k (at the very least) in debt? I would absolutely urge you not to attend PAU or PGSP. I know a number of folks from these programs, and it seems like they’ve gotten excellent training, but the majority of them came from wealthy families so they didn’t have to take on any debt.

What I would do? Wait another year, get some more research experience, and re-apply to UCSB next year. Or consider other options like the MSW, depending on what your overall goals are.

I’m really sorry that you’re going through a difficult time right now.
In addition to what @Seven_Costanza wrote about the debt, you also mention needing to help with caregiving for your mom and sister. Doctoral programs are full-time programs: classes, clinical work, research and if you have an assistantship that’s additional time. You will need to decide what is more important: family obligations (caregiving is NOT easy!) or future career. Many posters on here have shared how difficult it is balancing school and families with young children. Adding additional family responsibility to the mix will increase the stress quite a bit!!

Why do you want to pursue a doctorate in psychology? What are your career goals and how will the degree help you? Can you wait and strengthen your qualifications and apply in 1-2 years? Will one of your masters degrees help you meet your goals? Some things to think about. Sorry to hear about all the things happening at once. Not easy.:love:

Reactions: 3 users
I have considered applying to Fielding as well (the only distance-model APA accred program out there that I know of). Fielding is pricy with no funding, but less pricey than the PAU programs, with an advantage being no need to move to a particular area, for at least several years. If anyone here has experience or knowledge about Fielding I welcome your input as well?

I would strongly advise against Fielding. At least in this geographic area, those applications are a hard pass for internship, postdoc, and job hiring opportunities. If you go this route, it will be a very difficult road ahead, with many doors being closed before you ever get there.

Reactions: 2 users

I guess I am also wondering given my circumstances (4 kids, verge of divorce, need to stay in the state for family reasons), what would you do?

You're going through a lot right now and I hope you're finding ways to take care of yourself. I understand the sense of urgency to have a clear path forward, but I would caution you against making a decision for the sake of making a decision. I would be the last person to tell you not to go to graduate school with a family, since I started a family while still in training and I know others who have been successful managing family and school. However, also from personal experience, I recognize that when things at home are not going as planned, you may feel like holding tightly to the thing that gives you a sense of security and certainty. Please pause, let go, and consider how well that option would work in the long run.

What I would not do is go to Fielding. And I will join others in cautioning you about investing six figures in a clinical doctorate.

What you haven't shared with us so far are your career goals. If you are interested in a clinical career, you might consider alternatives to a PhD/PsyD. If you are interested in an academic career, it's worth thinking about how that plan squares with your geographical constraints. If it's something else, well, let's hear it. And sometimes the best decision is not to make a decision at a given time. Anyway, please share. We're here to help.

Thank you all for your replies so far. I really appreciate it!

Seven_Costanza, and MAClinician, yes I definitely I realize the conflict re family caregiving and full time doctoral work. At this point it's more a matter of providing moral support and being around to visit more with my family than physical caregiving requirements, as my mother already has a daily caregiver, however this may change over time. Yes I may consider doing something with my Masters depending what the future holds. I can't rule it out. I do have goals for which the Phd would probably be a better fit however.

MamaPhD, WisNeuro, thank you for your input! Regarding my future career goals, as some of you have asked about I have very much wanted to become a psychologist for over 10 years. I considered pursuing an MFT license instead, but realized that I am very interested in certain research goals, mainly around neurodegenerative disorders, normative aging, and MCI. I am also very interested in doing psychological and neuropsychological testing and assessment. I do have other research interests however, including stress and trauma in indigenous populations, but geropsych is a strong passion. I am also interested in studying neurological effects of certain meditations. David Vago at Vanderbilt and Harvard discusses this as relating to contemplative psychology. Clinically, I would like to work with older adults, and also diverse and underserved populations. For all these reasons, psychology licensure seemed the way to go. I have worked in the field a bit at a psychiatric clinic for a year, and also have done school based counseling for at risk youth. I am currently finishing an MS in psychology, to gain relevant study and research experience. Although not primarily interested in academia, I can definitely envision myself teaching and mentoring other students, perhaps clinically. Also doing supervision would be cool, I think a DCT might be an interesting position at some point down the road.

I hope that gives you some idea of the reason I very much want to complete my doctorate, preferably asap!

Thank you for the advice re Fielding. Pretty much I have been getting a similar sense about that program. Too bad. It is tempting due to the flexibility for location and also compared to PAU it is less costly. However, it is very important to me that a program is thoroughly accredited and stays that way, and also that I will be able to get APA internships, postdocs and so on.

As far as PAU, thanks for the input. That is pretty much what I expected to hear. Likewise I have been getting the picture on how exhorbitant it would be to pursue my doctorate there. That is partly what motivated me to apply elsewhere. I wish I could know in advance if I would get accepted with a wait and re-apply to UCSB + additional programs next cycle after gaining more research experience. It's just so darn competitive. I'm sure just applying in CA reduces the odds too. I also don't have the resources to apply to loads of schools and move anywhere around the country like people can do when they are younger and single. It does make me wish I would have done this out of undergrad!

Can anyone advise as to the best way to pursue research opportunities to strengthen my app? So far I have done a fair amount of lit reviews in my Master's program and written a 50 page research proposal, that looks like I will have the opportunity to present as poster in the spring. I've never had a publication or worked in a lab however. I'm sure that is more of what programs are looking for.

Thanks again for the support everyone. I appreciate you mentioning pausing and breathing too. In truth, though I still don't know what to do with certainty, I have also been leaning towards the wait and apply to more schools again in Fall, provided I can improve my odds of actually landing a spot.

Thank you all for your replies so far. I really appreciate it!

Seven_Costanza, and MAClinician, yes I definitely I realize the conflict re family caregiving and full time doctoral work. At this point it's more a matter of providing moral support and being around to visit more with my family than physical caregiving requirements, as my mother already has a daily caregiver, however this may change over time. Yes I may consider doing something with my Masters depending what the future holds. I can't rule it out. I do have goals for which the Phd would probably be a better fit however.

MamaPhD, WisNeuro, thank you for your input! Regarding my future career goals, as some of you have asked about I have very much wanted to become a psychologist for over 10 years. I considered pursuing an MFT license instead, but realized that I am very interested in certain research goals, mainly around neurodegenerative disorders, normative aging, and MCI. I am also very interested in doing psychological and neuropsychological testing and assessment. I do have other research interests however, including stress and trauma in indigenous populations, but geropsych is a strong passion. I am also interested in studying neurological effects of certain meditations. David Vago at Vanderbilt and Harvard discusses this as relating to contemplative psychology. Clinically, I would like to work with older adults, and also diverse and underserved populations. For all these reasons, psychology licensure seemed the way to go. I have worked in the field a bit at a psychiatric clinic for a year, and also have done school based counseling for at risk youth. I am currently finishing an MS in psychology, to gain relevant study and research experience. Although not primarily interested in academia, I can definitely envision myself teaching and mentoring other students, perhaps clinically. Also doing supervision would be cool, I think a DCT might be an interesting position at some point down the road.

I hope that gives you some idea of the reason I very much want to complete my doctorate, preferably asap!

Thank you for the advice re Fielding. Pretty much I have been getting a similar sense about that program. Too bad. It is tempting due to the flexibility for location and also compared to PAU it is less costly. However, it is very important to me that a program is thoroughly accredited and stays that way, and also that I will be able to get APA internships, postdocs and so on.

As far as PAU, thanks for the input. That is pretty much what I expected to hear. Likewise I have been getting the picture on how exhorbitant it would be to pursue my doctorate there. That is partly what motivated me to apply elsewhere. I wish I could know in advance if I would get accepted with a wait and re-apply to UCSB + additional programs next cycle after gaining more research experience. It's just so darn competitive. I'm sure just applying in CA reduces the odds too. I also don't have the resources to apply to loads of schools and move anywhere around the country like people can do when they are younger and single. It does make me wish I would have done this out of undergrad!

Can anyone advise as to the best way to pursue research opportunities to strengthen my app? So far I have done a fair amount of lit reviews in my Master's program and written a 50 page research proposal, that looks like I will have the opportunity to present as poster in the spring. I've never had a publication or worked in a lab however. I'm sure that is more of what programs are looking for.

Thanks again for the support everyone. I appreciate you mentioning pausing and breathing too. In truth, though I still don't know what to do with certainty, I have also been leaning towards the wait and apply to more schools again in Fall, provided I can improve my odds of actually landing a spot.

Just reach out to local research labs you are interested in working in, expressing interest in their work, and asking about volunteer positions within their lab. Once there, be as awesome and eager to help as you can be. Ask for more responsibility. Show them you’re someone with initiative. Don’t just go through the motions - you need an “above and beyond” letter for more research based programs.

Not sure where in CA you live, but if in Los Angeles, USC has a number of faculty doing research with aging populations - Christopher Beam’s work comes to mind. If in the Bay Area, check out Bob Levenson’s lab at Berkeley or the Memory and Aging Center at UCSF which is a top notch facility. UCSD also has faculty focusing on aging populations.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! To be clear, you are referring to local labs where I live yes? I don't live close enough to any of those schools currently to contact them re working in those faculty labs- although that would be amazing! I may be relocating soon depending what happens in life, however.

When it comes to applying, those schools are definitely top of my list. I love that USC has a gero track, and their clinical science emphasis and fairly balanced research clinical program makes it ideal for me. Tbh UCSB doesn't have as good a fit re the geropsych, however I found a few faculty that have other interests that overlap with mine, so I gave it my best shot. For other reasons I mentioned already, attending there would be ideal re family and location for sure. UCSD/SDS has been on my radar for years- it does seem half the faculty does research on aging. What stopped me from applying previously was lack of hands on research experience. UCSD wants folks with tons of prior research experience and the programs seem highly research heavy. Re Berkeley I love Levenson's work re older adult couples. I know he has done plenty of research with Gottman on factors that make or break marriage and this area of research just really jazzes me up (for reasons other than personal). Berkeley like UCSD seems quite top heavy in research versus clinical of course. I believe UCLA is the same, but haven't looked as thoroughly at faculty as I think it is considered the most competitive of all clinical programs to get into (which doesn't make me shy away from applying). Of course the other schools are extremely competitive also.
I do recall in looking at their faculty bios that I did not find too much of the mesh with aging.

All that being said, I would love to be able to gain experience in any of the labs at these schools! Not sure if that can happen tho. I also really admire Dr. Lisa Miller at TC Columbia, for her work in spirituality in psychology in education. I have strongly considered reaching out to her just to share my interests. The program there seems awesome as well (limited funding perhaps) but NYC is about as far from my family as I could get. If I go forward with a new round of apps I may need to apply there anyway, because the program is such a draw.

Locally I do live near a state school, and I looked into it a bit. No clinical phd but MA programs there, and research opps for undergrads so I may need to see if they will let me do some work in a lab there.