PhD/PsyD Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invitations Fall 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_cigar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all psychology applicants! We should be hearing about interviews soon, so I thought I'd get this thread started.

School:

Program Type:

Date of invite:

Type of invite
(Mass email, email from POI, phone call, etc.):

Interview date(s):

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
School: University of Illinois - Chicago

Program Type: PhD - Clinical
Date of invite: 12/05/2019
Type of invite: Email from POI
Interview date(s): 12/12/2019 - Skype Interview (Stage 1)

Date of invite: 12/21/2019 - received invite to in-person date (Stage 2)
Type of invite: Email from POI with further details to come
Interview date(s): 01/31/2020 - In Person Interview Date

:eek:

School: University of Wisconsin

Program Type: PhD - EdPsych
Date of invite: 12/07/2019
Type of invite: Call & Email from POI
Interview date(s): 01/24/2020 - In Person, with optional dinner evening on 23rd January

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
School: Kent State University

Program type: Clinical- PhD
Date of invite: 12/9/2019
Type of invite: email from POI
Interview date: phone interview 12/12

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
School: University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Program Type: School Psychology Ph.D.
Date of Invite: December 11, 2019
Type of Invite: Mass Email
Interview Date: January 7, 2020

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
School: Loyola University Chicago
Program Type: School Psychology Ph.D.
Date of Invite: December 12, 2019
Type of Invite: Mass Email
Interview Date: February 3, 2020

School: University of Mississippi
Program Type: Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
Date of Invite: December 11, 2019
Type of Invite: Phone call + email
Interview Date: February 7th and 8th, 2020 (in-person)

I feel like Ole Miss was really on-top of things, considering my apps are still being sent for review at the other schools I applied to.

School: University of Toledo
Date of Invite: December 16, 2019
Type of Invite: Email from admin assistant with DCT and POI cc'd
Interview Date: February 7th and 10th, 2020 (in-person)

So incredibly excited!! This is one of my top choices!

School: Kent State University
Program Type: Clinical Psych PhD
Date of Invite: 12/18/19
Type of Invite: email from POI
Date of Interview: choice between 1/24-1/25 and 1/31-2/1

School: Miami University (Ohio)
Date of Invite: December 19, 2019
Type of Invite: Phone call from POI
Interview Date: February 3rd and 7th, 2020 (in-person)

So thrilled to have a chance to interview at Miami University and to know about it before the holidays—another top choice!

School: University of Indianapolis

Program Type: PsyD

Date of invite: 12/20/2019

Type of invite
(Mass email, email from POI, phone call, etc.): Mass Email

Interview date(s): January 17 OR January 31

School: University of Denver

Date of invite: 01/16/2020

Type of invite : Mass Email

Interview date(s): February 21st/22nd/28th/29th

School: The Wright Institute

Date of invite: 1/20/2020

Type of invite : Mass Email

Interview date(s): Wide selection from February to March

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! First time posting to SDN, though I have been searching and scrolling threads for awhile. Glad to be here!
So my grad school journey has been a long and winding road. Currently finishing up Master's degree. Due to circumstances (I'm an adult student and have kids) I have not applied to many doctoral programs this time around. Years ago I did some doctoral work at a non-APA school but did not stay there long. Have applications in on 2 schools, another application is due in a few days, and another app is not due until February so I haven't finished apps there yet. My aim is to stay relatively local and attend a great program that has APA accred as well as some significant funding.

School: Palo Alto University

Program Type: PhD

Type of Invite: Email

Interviewed last summer (approx. date July 7) and offered early acceptance in September, waiting to hear back from other schools before deciding.

My apologies if this deviates from the format of this thread. Still not quite sure the best place to post things but wanted to share. Does anyone know if all the invites have gone out for UCSB yet? From searching previous threads, here and on TGC it seems not many invites have gone out yet this cycle but prior years seems they mostly invite in December. Trying to hold out hope here... It's my top school. Not solely for program related reasons (those are plenty) but I have family in the area and need to move closer to my ailing parents!

Wishing everyone here the best of luck in this waiting process! Hope you each get into your #1 school. :)

Reactions: 1 user
School: Oklahoma State University

Program Type:
Clinical Child Psychology

Date of invite:
1/07/2019

Type of invite (Mass email, email from POI, phone call, etc.):
Email from clinical director

Interview date(s):
Feb. 1st

Reactions: 1 users
School: Eastern Tennessee State University
Date of invite: January 8, 2020
Type of invite: Phone call
Interview date(s): February 14th or February 17th

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, hope the application season is going well! I have a question that I thought would be better posted here than GradCafe since there are way more people here who are involved in the application process from the inside. Hoping to get some insight (if any is possible) and I apologize for the long post!
I applied last cycle for the first time, and received two interview invites. One of the places I interviewed at was a virtual perfect fit for my interests and experience, and even had a research connection with someone who had worked with one of my POIs at the school, who put in a good word for me. I interviewed for two PIs at this program. I felt that the interview went extremely well and got a call a few weeks later from one of the PIs (who was also the DCT) saying that I was their top choice, but ultimately they was not able to take on a new student because a grant they were waiting to hear back about didn't end up getting funded.
I applied again this year after strengthening my application (had no pubs last year, this year I have 2 first author and one 2nd author, with a couple more in prep/under review; more poster presentations, and an independent research project underway). I reached out to both PIs of interest at this program again and got a very positive response from one (albeit, the one who said I was their "top choice" last year didn't respond at all...) However, interview invites for this program went out yesterday and I did not receive one. I haven't received a formal rejection yet, but it seems pretty final.

My question is - what would be the reasons I haven't been invited back this year? This is a dream program for me and I'm trying to rationalize but I'm just at a loss as to why they are no longer interested in my application despite it being objectively stronger than last year. Any insight would be really appreciated.

Hi all, hope the application season is going well! I have a question that I thought would be better posted here than GradCafe since there are way more people here who are involved in the application process from the inside. Hoping to get some insight (if any is possible) and I apologize for the long post!
I applied last cycle for the first time, and received two interview invites. One of the places I interviewed at was a virtual perfect fit for my interests and experience, and even had a research connection with someone who had worked with one of my POIs at the school, who put in a good word for me. I interviewed for two PIs at this program. I felt that the interview went extremely well and got a call a few weeks later from one of the PIs (who was also the DCT) saying that I was their top choice, but ultimately they was not able to take on a new student because a grant they were waiting to hear back about didn't end up getting funded.
I applied again this year after strengthening my application (had no pubs last year, this year I have 2 first author and one 2nd author, with a couple more in prep/under review; more poster presentations, and an independent research project underway). I reached out to both PIs of interest at this program again and got a very positive response from one (albeit, the one who said I was their "top choice" last year didn't respond at all...) However, interview invites for this program went out yesterday and I did not receive one. I haven't received a formal rejection yet, but it seems pretty final.

My question is - what would be the reasons I haven't been invited back this year? This is a dream program for me and I'm trying to rationalize but I'm just at a loss as to why they are no longer interested in my application despite it being objectively stronger than last year. Any insight would be really appreciated.

Just a possibility...I was on the application committee at my program for a few years. Some years the applicant pool was just much more competitive than other years. There was a time when I was working with a PI and we had trouble narrowing their applicant pool down beyond 16 because there were so many awesome applicants. The next year, the same PI only had about 2 decent applicants. The competition may be a factor in your situation.

School: Virginia Consortium
Date of invite: January 10, 2020
Type of invite: Email
Interview date(s): January 31st

Just an update from the University of Central Florida, we have identified ~30 applicants that we are inviting to our interview day (which will be on 2/10, a Monday, to try to avoid overlap with all the programs that do Thursday/Friday interviews). We are sending out invites individually now (in alphabetical order). We should have our initial invites out by Monday at the latest. Best of luck to all of you in this process! Please know that this (incredibly stressful) process involves a lot of luck, and whether you get an offer or not (anywhere), says nothing about you (as a person) or your abilities
:)

First of all, I’d wait until you get final word before coming to any conclusions.

If ultimately you aren’t picked, there are always factors that are out of your control, unfortunately. It could be a change in competitiveness of applicants, or it could be that the applicants this year have research interests that more closely aligned with the faculty than yours for whatever reason. Or perhaps it’s possible that the PIs you’re interested in aren’t actually taking on students this year and other faculty did instead (I.e. going back to fit)....or a host of other things. I’m sorry to hear that things didn’t seem to work out. After two rounds, that might be a sign to cut your losses and move on; ultimately for whatever reason, it’s not as good of a fit (in their minds) as you believed, especially if you were told you were a top choice at one point and then the 2nd time around, nothing. A program’s priorities for the positions may have changed in some way.

Having said that, it sounds to me like you have a strong research background and would likely be a good fit for a program somewhere, so I’d suggest applying to more/different programs next time around if none work out this round.

School: Hofstra University

Program Type:
Clinical Psychology PhD

Date of invite:
January 10, 2020

Type of invite:
Phone call from program secretary to interview with POI

Interview date(s):
February 28, 2020

Good luck everyone.

First of all, I’d wait until you get final word before coming to any conclusions.

If ultimately you aren’t picked, there are always factors that are out of your control, unfortunately. It could be a change in competitiveness of applicants, or it could be that the applicants this year have research interests that more closely aligned with the faculty than yours for whatever reason. Or perhaps it’s possible that the PIs you’re interested in aren’t actually taking on students this year and other faculty did instead (I.e. going back to fit)....or a host of other things. I’m sorry to hear that things didn’t seem to work out. After two rounds, that might be a sign to cut your losses and move on; ultimately for whatever reason, it’s not as good of a fit (in their minds) as you believed, especially if you were told you were a top choice at one point and then the 2nd time around, nothing. A program’s priorities for the positions may have changed in some way.

Having said that, it sounds to me like you have a strong research background and would likely be a good fit for a program somewhere, so I’d suggest applying to more/different programs next time around if none work out this round.

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. I've been able to come to more of a place of acceptance of the situation since last week, since this process is so unpredictable and I know I shouldn't take it personally. I have 5 interviews elsewhere so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for success somewhere else :)

School: Pepperdine University

Program Type:
Clinical Psychology, PsyD

Date of invite:
01/10/20

Type of invite
(Mass email, email from POI, phone call, etc.): Mass email

Interview date(s):
02/01/20

Waiting to hear back still from Roosevelt University, University of Denver and Yeshiva University! (All PsyDs)

is an open house the same as an interview? Very confused about open house invites

I've heard back from 2/6 programs that I've applied to (2 interviews!), but I'm getting anxious that I haven't heard back from the other 4 programs. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Should I reach out to these programs?

I've heard back from 2/6 programs that I've applied to (2 interviews!), but I'm getting anxious that I haven't heard back from the other 4 programs. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Should I reach out to these programs?
Check the CUDCP calendar to see if your programs have already extended interview invites.

CUDCP Admission Timelines | Teamup

School: USUHS
Date of invite: January 22, 2020
Interview date(s): February 24th and 25th

School: Roosevelt University

Program Type: Clinical Psychology, PsyD

Date of invite:
01/25/2020

Type of invite
(Mass email, email from POI, phone call, etc.): Mass email

Interview date(s): 02/14/20

Got rejected by George Washington and Baylor. Waiting for Rutgers and PGSP-Stanford!

School: Roosevelt University

Program Type: Clinical Psychology, PsyD

Date of invite: 01/25/2020

Type of invite (Mass email, email from POI, phone call, etc.): Mass email

Interview date(s): 02/14/20

Got rejected by George Washington and Baylor. Waiting for Rutgers and PGSP-Stanford!
Ugh. My professor still hasn't sent in his recommendation, do you think Roosevelt will still look at my application? I've emailed and called him multiple times. He is my third backup recommender to accept my request and then completely ghost me.

is an open house the same as an interview? Very confused about open house invites

Open house's are typically informational events where prospective applicants can learn more about the program and speak with faculty. Invitations to open houses are sent to anyone who has their name in the mailing list (including non-applicants). To answer your question, open house invitations are not the same as interview invitations; though an open house may still be a good way to learn more about the program.

I applied to work with a few PIs who have done some preliminary phone interviews. Because they did not reach out to me to schedule any preliminary interview, does this mean I am likely going to receive rejections? Does anyone know what the chances are that I still receive an interview?

I applied to work with a few PIs who have done some preliminary phone interviews. Because they did not reach out to me to schedule any preliminary interview, does this mean I am likely going to receive rejections? Does anyone know what the chances are that I still receive an interview?
Do you know if their programs have done in-person interviews yet?

If the same PI that you applied to did preliminary interviews with other candidates, my guess would be that they did interviews with all candidates they were considering to interview. I do not know any faculty personally who selective pre-interview. It could happen for extremely competitive candidates, but I would personally take the opportunity to bait the line as a means to try and focus on recruitment. I expect this approach would be taken by others and there is also the issue of ensuring equability during the process. I could always be wrong in this case, but this would be the most likely process in my experience.

Ugh. My professor still hasn't sent in his recommendation, do you think Roosevelt will still look at my application? I've emailed and called him multiple times. He is my third backup recommender to accept my request and then completely ghost me.
Hi! Usually, the school won't look at the late recommendation letter or other materials but they would still consider you as an applicant. So even if your professor submitted the letter for you, he/she should contact the admissions team to explain the late submission so that the school knows fault is not on you.
Good luck!

School: University of North Dakota
Date of invite: January 30, 2020
Interview date(s): February 21st and 22nd 2020

• Love
Hi! Usually, the school won't look at the late recommendation letter or other materials but they would still consider you as an applicant. So even if your professor submitted the letter for you, he/she should contact the admissions team to explain the late submission so that the school knows fault is not on you.
Good luck!
Welp, I emailed Roosevelt admissions and they said that because my materials were not in by December 1, my application was not considered. Tremendously disappointing considering how frequently I contacted, called and talked in-person to this professor to remind her to send it in. I suppose I can still hold out hope for the other programs I applied to.

• Haha
Welp, I emailed Roosevelt admissions and they said that because my materials were not in by December 1, my application was not considered. Tremendously disappointing considering how frequently I contacted, called and talked in-person to this professor to remind her to send it in. I suppose I can still hold out hope for the other programs I applied to.
I am sorry about that. I have a professor who ghosted me on one application as well.
Good luck on other programs you applied to!

Yes! I also go there for my masters. I'm hearing that invitations will go out by the end of the week.
You are a savior! I've been looking all over for other applicants, fingers crossed we hear good things tomorrow :xf:

Hi! Has anyone who applied by the regular decision deadline (Jan 3rd) heard from the PGSP-Stanford PsyD program about an interview?

Hi! Has anyone who applied by the regular decision deadline (Jan 3rd) heard from the PGSP-Stanford PsyD program about an interview?
I believe PAU has sent all interview invitations by now. I got mine last week and I know most people got theirs even sooner

Have you heard back? I don't have any emails from them
I have not, but I'm hearing from folks in the department that they've already selected and set up interviews with their "first round" intervewees... I'm not quite sure what that means to be honest. I've been told I'm second round which is equivalent to a backup plan. Oh well.

I have not, but I'm hearing from folks in the department that they've already selected and set up interviews with their "first round" intervewees... I'm not quite sure what that means to be honest. I've been told I'm second round which is equivalent to a backup plan. Oh well.
Have you heard from Springfield yet?

Any info on Zucker hillside LIJ (long island) interview for Neuro track?

Have you heard from Springfield yet?
I have not received any confirmation via email or phone. But with me being already in the building, I've heard interviews have taken place. Pretty disappointed with the professionalism in the Psy.D. department there.

I have not received any confirmation via email or phone. But with me being already in the building, I've heard interviews have taken place. Pretty disappointed with the professionalism in the Psy.D. department there.
I don't know if I'd infer anything about their professionalism or lack thereof by this. Many programs intentionally don't give out information in case they aren't satisfied with the candidates they invited to interview and want to extend more interview offers. They don't want to give out rejections too early.

That is disappointing. I interviewed last Friday and I am not so confident about how my interview went. I hope we both hear positive news soon!

Any info on UW neuro track regarding the interview? (University of Washington school of medicine)

Anyone who was admitted/waitlisted to PsyD's including Pepperdine, Denver, Loyola MD, Roosevelt, Palo Alto compelled to share some info about their background/scores? I just went through the application/interview cycle and unfortunately got rejected by all 10 I applied to. Thank you!