Psychology Vs Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A couple of notes, insurance will not generally cover a psychiatrist performing therapy and thus makes it difficult to see patients except on a cash only basis, even then the rate would have to be reduced to be competitive. Additionally, a psychiatrist doing anything but the bare minimum of therapy will take a significant pay cut. Thus, the financial 'advantage' goes away. I also have to say that in the current day and age, the 'do-it-all' provider is very rare and I am not so sure it is a feasible idea in any case. The better choice would likely be to pick something you enjoy go for that. If you want to do therapy, the question becomes which could you live with better; doling out meds only or only assessment/ testing services, report writing, and possibly research.

That is true, but there are ways for psychiatrists to get paid for therapy from insurance by billing for med checks. Obviously, that is a pay cut in comparison to the average psychiatrist. I plan on doing ~25 to 30% therapy in my practice and will have no problem with the decrease in pay. From my standpoint, I'll still make a great salary. I think the error that a lot of people have been stating is that as a psychiatrist you will be "doling out meds only." That is simply not true. It is, only if you decide to do that. Obviously, if you want to only practice psychotherapy....Well, that is a different issue and obviously one should pursue a Phd or PsyD if that's the case. However, I do know a couple of old-school analysts that do full time therapy and are cash only, but that is an exception.

As an aside, the young psychiatrists in training are demanding more therapy and the trend has been for psychiatry programs to increase psychotherapy training.

Members don't see this ad.