Psychology's Prescribing Pioneers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you found anything suggesting that psychologists should not prescribe? Or, have you found any incidences of a negative outcome with psychologists prescribing?

Given the formulary in LA, and the ability to prescribe off label, are there any Neuropsychologists/Medical Psychologists with prescriptive authority who are treating Alzheimer’s patients with pharmacotherapy?

Members don't see this ad :)
PsychEval said:
Given the formulary in LA, and the ability to prescribe off label, are there any Neuropsychologists/Medical Psychologists with prescriptive authority who are treating Alzheimer’s patients with pharmacotherapy?

Good question. I would look at the law in NM. I recall their seeking to expand their formulary to include agents such as cholinesterase inhibitors. They also wanted to treat epilepsy. Not sure if it passed though. Google it!

They were not seeking to tx epilepsy, but the use some of the drugs used in epilepsy tx such as (depakote, carbamazapine, lamictal, topamax etc..).

psisci said:
They were not seeking to tx epilepsy, but the use some of the drugs used in epilepsy tx such as (depakote, carbamazapine, lamictal, topamax etc..).

I'm confused. The link below states that psychologists cannot treat neurological conditions, but can treat disorders listed in the DSM. Alzheimer's Disease is a neurological disorder and is listed in the DSM. How is this neuropsychiatric/neurologic "grey area" defined?

http://www.rld.state.nm.us/b&c/psychology/RxP Rules/Rules/Part 27.pdf

Also, was this "expanded formulary" legislation passed?

PublicHealth said:
I'm confused. The link below states that psychologists cannot treat neurological conditions, but can treat disorders listed in the DSM. Alzheimer's Disease is a neurological disorder and is listed in the DSM. How is this neuropsychiatric/neurologic "grey area" defined?

http://www.rld.state.nm.us/b&c/psychology/RxP Rules/Rules/Part 27.pdf

Also, was this "expanded formulary" legislation passed?

I just asked this question to a colleague of mine who is both a Neuropsychologist and RxMA and licensed in LA. He says that he can prescribe almost anything indicated for a MH disorder even those that cross into neurology (DAT, Autism, ADHD) so long as the PCP is informed and in agreement. Whether that was the intent or the application, I'm not sure.

Neuro-Dr said:
I just asked this question to a colleague of mine who is both a Neuropsychologist and RxMA and licensed in LA. He says that he can prescribe almost anything indicated for a MH disorder even those that cross into neurology (DAT, Autism, ADHD) so long as the PCP is informed and in agreement. Whether that was the intent or the application, I'm not sure.

That's what I thought. The way the bill is written does not make this clear, though. For example, performance anxiety (social anxiety disorder) is sometimes treated with beta-blockers, which are classed as cardiac, not psychiatric drugs. Does this mean that a medical/prescribing psychologist could prescribe a beta-blocker, as long as the prescription is for an anxiety disorder?

Aside from the law, I think scope of practice is the main issue. For instance, just because a psychiatrist can prescribe chemotherapy to treat various forms of cancer, does not mean it is a good idea.