Psychopharmacology Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHolliday21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a good psychopharmacology book for a MS-III student that is eventually going to enter the psych field?

I was initially going to buy Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology but it has mixed reviews on Amazon.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

And not to sound like an 8 year old, but a book that has diagrams (like Stahl's) would interest me more as I like to visualize how these drugs work.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

If you want the theory of psychopharmacology, Stahl is hard to beat, imho.

For practical prescribing, Maudsley's prescribing guidelines is extremely useful - this is British volume, though, so you have to keep that in mind when reading it.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer my own question (since it was just asked again in a new thread and it will be helpful to others), I was told to read:

1. Manual of Clinical Psychopharmacology by Alan Schatzberg

This book is PHENOMENAL. I am reading it now, but I was told to read this during my 1st yr during residency.

2. Principles and practice of psychopharmacotherapy

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Pr...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290570433&sr=8-1

I was told to read this during my 2nd and 3rd yr during residency.

The Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy FTW.

No pretty pictures. If you want pictures that lie to you, Stahl's book is the way to go. (Not that being lied to is such a terrible thing).

Thanks for that recommendation, babypilgrim. I'd been wanting a psychopharm book organized by diagnosis rather than drug class. A lot easier for me to absorb that way for some reason. :)