MA/MS PsyD admission after MS(Clinical Psychology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THOMMO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,I am an MS(Clinical Psychology) from India.
I need to know which all Institutes/Universities offering admission to PsyD program straightaway in the third year for a candidate having MS(Clinical Psychology) in USA?.
I have a GPA of 4.2 for my MS subjects.
Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean, "straightaway in the 3rd year?" You mean accepting your master's level classes such that you get exempt from a year or two of a doctoral program? That's very unlikely anywhere. You might be able to supply syllabi and hope to be exempt from a few classes, and if you did a thesis for your masters then you could submit it and see if they would accept it so that you don't have to do a second thesis, but you're not going to just get to waive a year or two of training anywhere that I have ever heard of, and I would be really wary of the quality of a program that advertised that.

Yeah, I am a little unclear as to the situation as well. As Sing said, many programs will only recognize a class or two here to be equivalent. Additionally, most grad programs have a minimum number of required credits that have to be accrued at that institution to earn a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean, "straightaway in the 3rd year?" You mean accepting your master's level classes such that you get exempt from a year or two of a doctoral program? That's very unlikely anywhere. You might be able to supply syllabi and hope to be exempt from a few classes, and if you did a thesis for your masters then you could submit it and see if they would accept it so that you don't have to do a second thesis, but you're not going to just get to waive a year or two of training anywhere that I have ever heard of, and I would be really wary of the quality of a program that advertised that.

I heard that Marywood University admits students with MS(Clinical Psychology) from PsyD program in the third year straightaway after undergoing a Masters Comprehensive exam at the University.
Do you know any other Universities doing the same in USA?
I did a full Thesis for my MS(Clinical Psychology) from India.
Any info about such Universities in USA is highly appreciated.

I heard that Marywood University admits students with MS(Clinical Psychology) from PsyD program in the third year straightaway after undergoing a Masters Comprehensive exam at the University.
Do you know any other Universities doing the same in USA?
I did a full Thesis for my MS(Clinical Psychology) from India.
Any info about such Universities in USA is highly appreciated.
You're not really listening to what other people are telling you. Most programs don't allow you to skip two years of their program simply because you have a master's degree, because they want you to have a minimum amount of didactic and experiential training in their program to assure the quality of your education and training. You really don't want to attend a program that would allow you to do this, because it means the quality of the training you receive there will be poor.

Programs may waive a few classes (8-12 credits), but the expectation is that programs want you to training in their program to ensure your training is in line with their standards. Students typically start in Y1 with their cohort, though they may get a class a semester waived, depending on what classes are offered.

If a program accepts a masters and waives a significant portion of training I would consider that a huge red flag for the program.

Reactions: 1 user