PsyD admissions and clinical and research work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a current junior and looking to apply to PhD/PsyD programs next year. I already have a preliminary list of PhD programs picked out, based on my main research and clinical interest (the same), but I'm also looking at PsyD programs, as I want to practice clinically and have no desire to go into academia.

I'll have a GPA of 3.8 or thereabouts when applying and a decent amount of research (4 semesters in my primary research area at application time, including an honors thesis in that area and probably research work this summer in the same area [publication *may* be possible), 3 semesters of work in another area [running assessments], a possible second honors thesis in a related interest, a few semesters of work in other labs), a lot of teaching experience (TAing, independently teaching classes and seminars, etc.) , and some clinical experience (two years [probably] of work running substance abuse groups, a 450 clinical internship my senior year).

1) Will my research experience have the potential to *hurt* me in anyway when applying to PsyD programs? I really love research and feel it has really enhanced my understanding of psychology, so I don't regret it in anyway but was wondering if it may raise eyebrows, especially as my goal is practice.

2) Do I have too little clinical experience? I'm worried about this--the clinical work I've done is actually really clinical for an undergraduate, but I don't know how much PsyD programs value this. Can my teaching experience count in anyway, especially as part of it is in a supervisory role for undergraduate practica students? I've considered looking for clinical work along my research work this summer. Would that help?

3) I'm looking at programs like Immaculata, Chesnut Hill (but the low APPIC/APA internship rate has me worried), Wright State (great focus for my interests but higher tuition rates.), possibly Nova (great program but higher tuition), Hartford (great but likely a reach), University of Indianapolis, etc. I'll be buying the Insider's Guide soon , but if anyone has any feedback on admission to those programs (and whether I'm being completely delusional in thinking I have a chance), I'd love feedback!

Many thanks and happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm a current junior and looking to apply to PhD/PsyD programs next year. I already have a preliminary list of PhD programs picked out, based on my main research and clinical interest (the same), but I'm also looking at PsyD programs, as I want to practice clinically and have no desire to go into academia.

I'll have a GPA of 3.8 or thereabouts when applying and a decent amount of research (4 semesters in my primary research area at application time, including an honors thesis in that area and probably research work this summer in the same area [publication *may* be possible), 3 semesters of work in another area [running assessments], a possible second honors thesis in a related interest, a few semesters of work in other labs), a lot of teaching experience (TAing, independently teaching classes and seminars, etc.) , and some clinical experience (two years [probably] of work running substance abuse groups, a 450 clinical internship my senior year).

1) Will my research experience have the potential to *hurt* me in anyway when applying to PsyD programs? I really love research and feel it has really enhanced my understanding of psychology, so I don't regret it in anyway but was wondering if it may raise eyebrows, especially as my goal is practice.

2) Do I have too little clinical experience? I'm worried about this--the clinical work I've done is actually really clinical for an undergraduate, but I don't know how much PsyD programs value this. Can my teaching experience count in anyway, especially as part of it is in a supervisory role for undergraduate practica students? I've considered looking for clinical work along my research work this summer. Would that help?

3) I'm looking at programs like Immaculata, Chesnut Hill (but the low APPIC/APA internship rate has me worried), Wright State (great focus for my interests but higher tuition rates.), possibly Nova (great program but higher tuition), Hartford (great but likely a reach), University of Indianapolis, etc. I'll be buying the Insider's Guide soon , but if anyone has any feedback on admission to those programs (and whether I'm being completely delusional in thinking I have a chance), I'd love feedback!

Many thanks and happy holidays!

With your stats and app notes, why aren't you applying to the top PsyD programs? What's your reasoning for choosing the programs you've mentioned?

Lots of research, possible 2 papers, possible publication, clincial work, and high GPA only leave you crushin the GRE's to make you a possible top candidate in a lot of arenas...

With your stats and app notes, why aren't you applying to the top PsyD programs? What's your reasoning for choosing the programs you've mentioned?

Lots of research, possible 2 papers, possible publication, clincial work, and high GPA only leave you crushin the GRE's to make you a possible top candidate in a lot of arenas...

I agree. I think you could aim a bit higher, and include some top schools like Baylor, Rutgers, Va Consortium. Check out the Insiders Guide as soon as you can. I think it will be a help to you.:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback (and compliments! :) )! Why I'm shying away from top PsyD programs is simply that I know research match is important at them, and that would be lacking for me there (though VCC has possible match--I'll look into that further, as I would love to go there[if I get in!].) My main research/clinical interest is multicultural psych but with a specific ethnic group, and I've started compiling a list of PhD programs (all balanced to more clinical--4 or 5 or below in the scale) that would be possible research fits.

I'm looking at PsyD programs as a bit "safer" in terms of admission, though
I know that nothing is really "safe" in this field, and a bit more toward my career interests (practice v. research, something that my app may not speak to...?). The potential cost is worrisome, but I'm hoping I can do things to defray it.

1) Will my research experience have the potential to *hurt* me in anyway when applying to PsyD programs?

No. It only will hurt if you make yourself a bad fit for a program.

2) Do I have too little clinical experience?

Because the vast majority of "clinical" experiences req. more than a BA/BS....it is understandable.

--

As for your stats....aim high; shoot for a fully funded program.

Thanks for the input. Would it be disingenuous to apply to some higher acceptance rate PsyDs as "back-ups" along with more fully funded PhD programs and possibly some fully funded PsyDs? Any thoughts on the number of programs to apply to? I have a list of about 12-13 PhD programs that would be very good research fits, 2-3 well-funded PsyD programs that would be good fits, and maybe 4-5 somewhat less competitive PsyD programs. Is that too many?

Also, T4C, I saw that you go to Nova. Any thoughts on the program, especially the multicultural training? What has been your situation with funding and the cost of living in the area? Thanks!

Thanks for the input. Would it be disingenuous to apply to some higher acceptance rate PsyDs as "back-ups" along with more fully funded PhD programs and possibly some fully funded PsyDs? Any thoughts on the number of programs to apply to? I have a list of about 12-13 PhD programs that would be very good research fits, 2-3 well-funded PsyD programs that would be good fits, and maybe 4-5 somewhat less competitive PsyD programs. Is that too many?

Also, T4C, I saw that you go to Nova. Any thoughts on the program, especially the multicultural training? What has been your situation with funding and the cost of living in the area? Thanks!

No, because even some of those will offer you full funding. Out of your list, I can only speak to U Indy... they offer a fully funded spot I think... I'm sure the others have something similar. If a program is a good match, it's a good match... but with your stats (as long as your GRE's are in similar high places), I wouldn't accept an unfunded offer if I were you...

Good luck with your journey!

Oops, about your numbers, I mean, you wouldn't be the first person to apply to so many, but consider application fees (if they aren't waived) and GRE score fees, transcript fees, fedex fees if you procrastinate like me, the number of letters of rec, etc... if you feel you could be happy at each of those schools go for it, otherwise, if possible, create your own interview early... go to campus, try to meet with some students, maybe some staff, get a feel and see if you can eliminate any in that way.

Good luck.

I think the training is very good, but the cost has really increased (compared to when I started 4.5 years ago), which makes it hard to recommend. It really should have better funding by now, but the administration has done a poor job with that. They are supposedly trying to bring in faculty that bring in better funding, but that is a work in progress.

My program search started pre-SDN, so I didn't know about places like Xavier and more balanced Ph.D programs.....which I think offer very good training and better funding. I had offers at 5 of the 7 places I applied, but because of spec. research interests and the psychopharm program....I chose NSU.

As for places I would recommend: Baylor, Rutgers, and Xavier. IUofP, Loyola, and the Virginia Consortium as the next tier.

No, because even some of those will offer you full funding. Out of your list, I can only speak to U Indy... they offer a fully funded spot I think... I'm sure the others have something similar. If a program is a good match, it's a good match... but with your stats (as long as your GRE's are in similar high places), I wouldn't accept an unfunded offer if I were you...

Good luck with your journey!

Oops, about your numbers, I mean, you wouldn't be the first person to apply to so many, but consider application fees (if they aren't waived) and GRE score fees, transcript fees, fedex fees if you procrastinate like me, the number of letters of rec, etc... if you feel you could be happy at each of those schools go for it, otherwise, if possible, create your own interview early... go to campus, try to meet with some students, maybe some staff, get a feel and see if you can eliminate any in that way.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks!

I'd actually put UIndy in the "more competitive" pool (and a good fit). Right now, I'm thinking something like:

12-13 PhD programs (funded, excellent research matches... should I either bother applying to my undergrad alma marter?)

2-3 competitive, funded PsyD programs (VCC, UIndy, depends on the specifics of research matches)

4-5 less competitive, less funded PsyD's that would still be good fits (George Fox, Immaculata, this is the area I need to fill in)

Yeah, I'm a bit scared of GRE ... I'm going to start studying soon!