PhD/PsyD PsyD Career Change? Verdict requested.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

martin.trudeau

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello long time reader here, first time poster.

I am a single male in my 30s and I am considering shifting from physical therapy to becoming a psychologist. I have worked with many patients with mental health problems and I find I have an ability to help them, I also find myself investigating psych research to help propel some of these clients in the right direction as they seek the appropriate mental health care they need. Physical therapy is repetitive and I do not feel a passion for it anymore.

Not only have I loved every psychology course I have taken, but I have found the psychology volunteer work I have done to be rewarding: I've volunteered at a suicide hotline and a shelter from those suffering from (often spousal) abuse.

I have no student loan debt. I have some savings. I am considering a PhD, at least in part due to the funding situation. Since my undergraduate grades were not perfect to say the least I suspect that many programs are foreclosed to me. My graduate GPA is nearly a 4.0 at a top tier program. Every psych class I have taken is a A, and I have taken a multitude and beyond of psych courses offered at the undergraduate level. I've taken statistical analysis and research methods.

The GPA situation has me considering the PsyD as a reasonable alternative. My friend just started his first job with a PsyD making 100k. Is this typical? If so, this transition can be worth it. If I am looking at the same exact salary as a PT I am wise to just stick it out probably. Advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum.

Switching careers in your 30s is a big decision, and it is good that you want to make an informed choice. Start here and read everything.

The first step is to figure out what you want to do in the big field of psychology. A PsyD/PhD opens the most doors, but requires the most sacrifice. Think 5-8 years of low pay or no pay. I moved my family across the country 3 times in my training, and that's not unusual. It is possible to make 100k out of the gate, but that isn't the modal outcome. 60-80k is more likely. You can find salary stats online for your geographic area and sub specialty. The general advice is to avoid taking on a lot of debt to be a psychologist. To accomplish this, you need to be a very competitive applicant, which likely means having strong research experience under your belt.

If your goal is to be a therapist, you can accomplish this with a masters level license. You could be practicing by 2021 rather than 2025.

My friend took a position making 100k at a hospital intake unit during graveyard shift. This position also includes 20k of loan repayment a year. 60-80 is a typical PT salary. We hardly ever bust through 80-90k in rehab.

100k as a PT starting salary simply doesn't exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second the advice to understand what you want to do as a career. If it's to become a therapist, a Master's level degree is all you need to practice therapy effectively. You can continue your learning and training informally too, given the Internet's vast educational resources. You'll get done more quickly with a lot less debt, and little difference in your career possibilities (especially if you're looking to do private practice or a small group practice, like many therapists).

Just so you know psychology is not inherently less repetitive than physical therapy.

I'll second the advice to understand what you want to do as a career. If it's to become a therapist, a Master's level degree is all you need to practice therapy effectively. You can continue your learning and training informally too, given the Internet's vast educational resources. You'll get done more quickly with a lot less debt, and little difference in your career possibilities (especially if you're looking to do private practice or a small group practice, like many therapists).

Thanks so much for your comment. Are salary differentials large though? My friend is pulling 6 figures with a psychology doctorate at his first job. Is this a reasonable expectation? If so, the PSYD may pass the cost benefit analysis. If not, that would change matters significantly.

It depends on so many variables: geographic location, in a city vs outside of a city, private practice vs some sort of other practice, specialty or not, etc. etc. It is still pretty unusual for any psychologist to be doing 6 figures at their first job as a clinician. Even after 10 years in the field, if you're a clinical psychologist in practice, you may struggle in most areas to break the 6 figure mark.

Thanks so much for your comment. Are salary differentials large though? My friend is pulling 6 figures with a psychology doctorate at his first job. Is this a reasonable expectation? If so, the PSYD may pass the cost benefit analysis. If not, that would change matters significantly.

The cost/benefit analysis is hugely dependent on the cost, since it can range from free (fully funded PhD/PsyD) to >200k (many psyDs). 100k isn't that much is you're paying several thousand dollars a month in interest payments on huge loans.