PsyD vs Clinical Psych PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelodyAve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am researching programs with the intent to begin grad school in fall of 2018. I want to be a therapist (long term with a private practice) and I am not very interested in research or academia.

It sounds like the PsyD is for me, but I am worried about sinking myself into mountains of debt for a degree that is not taken as seriously by some, and thus potentially less likely to pay off. For the sake of partial or full funding, what Clinical Psych PhD programs would you recommend with a maximum emphasis on clinical practice? And please share your experience with me, whether confirming or disproving my worries. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. These days students in Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs on the whole average the same amount of clinical hours upon exit. Any advice about avoiding a Ph.D. b/c you want a career in practice is a bit outdated.

2. Just on the surface, I'd consider whether an MA in counseling or clinical psych would be more appropriate for you. You don't need a doctorate to be a therapist, and it'll save you a few years and money.

3. If you're still considering Ph.D. vs. Psy.D., there's a sticky atop this forum with loads of posts comparing the two.

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to the above post, which provides excellent information, you could consider looking through a copy of the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. It's updated annually and provides useful information on the vast majority of clinical/counseling psych doctoral training programs, including their clinical vs. research focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am researching programs with the intent to begin grad school in fall of 2018. I want to be a therapist (long term with a private practice) and I am not very interested in research or academia.

It sounds like the PsyD is for me, but I am worried about sinking myself into mountains of debt for a degree that is not taken as seriously by some, and thus potentially less likely to pay off. For the sake of partial or full funding, what Clinical Psych PhD programs would you recommend with a maximum emphasis on clinical practice? And please share your experience with me, whether confirming or disproving my worries. Thank you!
Also, keep in mind that goals often change as you are exposed to different aspects of the field and even if the eventual goal is private practice providing psychotherapy there are still many reasons that research experience would be beneficial.

If you just want to do therapy, I would suggest looking into MA programs. You can practice with a LPC (or whatever you state's version is titled) or a LCSW.