PsyD vs. Psych NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passnte4PH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently in an MFT program in New York. I already have a previous masters in I/O psych. I really love family therapy and was thinking of getting a psy.d. I hope one day to teach, I want to be able to EARN MORE, I am also looking for PATH that WONT TAKE FOREVER. I already have two masters degrees. I am getting tired of school.

I dont think I will be able to get a phd I really dont have research experience in clinical psychology. I am also not sure how competive my stats are, I have high gpas all round, and I have experience in human resources and behavioral health but I have low GRE scores. Im realy bad at standardized tests.

On a different note in the past, I considered being a nurse but brushed it aside. Now, I am seriously considering applying to accelerated bsn/msn and possibly becoming a psych nurse practioner. Which path do you think is least expensive? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Least expensive? Likely a funded Ph.D. program. When it comes to salary and ease of finding work, the psych NP route is going to have a higher floor, although I'm not sure of the teaching opportunities, as that'll likely be more widely available with the academic doctorate.

Hi guys,

I am currently in an MFT program in New York. I already have a previous masters in I/O psych. I really love family therapy and was thinking of getting a psy.d. I hope one day to teach, I want to be able to EARN MORE, I am also looking for PATH that WONT TAKE FOREVER. I already have two masters degrees. I am getting tired of school.

I dont think I will be able to get a phd I really dont have research experience in clinical psychology. I am also not sure how competive my stats are, I have high gpas all round, and I have experience in human resources and behavioral health but I have low GRE scores. Im realy bad at standardized tests.

On a different note in the past, I considered being a nurse but brushed it aside. Now, I am seriously considering applying to accelerated bsn/msn and possibly becoming a psych nurse practioner. Which path do you think is least expensive? Any advice?

I did this path and am currently in a psych NP program. I would highly recommend this route due to the high pay and flexibility (easy to work in clinical work, research, and teaching). If you can't find a scholarship or loan payback program for your MSN (or at least, a way to work as an RN during your NP program to lower your loan burden), then you're doing it wrong, especially in psych. If you do a search there are several threads that compare clin psych to psych NP.

Last edited: