PsyD's vs. PhD's and Neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again!
Has anyone heard that PsyD's have a tougher time getting neuropsychology post docs?

Take care.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know the answer to this question too. My guess is that a psy.d in clinical psych would still have an edge over a PhD in any other type of program. I would like to to do a child clinical or clinical/school program and then go into neuropsych. I was curious if that would hinder my chances. Anybody have answers?

From what I've heard, it comes down to several factors, including, but not limited to: reputation of graduate school (APA accreditation is pretty much mandatory), research background/publications, clinical experience, internship site, potential for career in clinical neuropsychology, compatibility of research interests, letters of recommendation, etc.

In general, PhD or PsyD does not appear to be a major factor in obtaining a fellowship in clinical neuropsychology. Of course, if the faculty at a particular postdoc program are grounded in the Boulder Model, a PsyD may have a comparatively difficult time landing a postdoc at that institution. Likewise, a PhD may have a difficult time landing a residency at an institution replete with PsyDs trained in the Vail Model. This bias is likely not a major factor, however, especially since the distinction between PhD and PsyD is in GRADUATE, not postdoctoral, training. If research and teaching a major component of a neuropsychology postdoc program, a PsyD, unless adequately trained in clinical research, may be less likely to land a position compared to a PhD with a comparable amount of clinical experience and an extensive research and teaching background.

Interestingly, the distinction between PhD and PsyD clinical psychology degrees is somewhat like the distinction between MD and DO medical degrees. Whenever a degree or program is "non-traditional," there tends to be a bias associated with it in the larger community.

PH

Members don't see this ad :)
Public Health,

Do you have an MPH? I am applying to both PsyD and MPH programs, what would you say the pro's and cons of each degree are? Also, if you're looking into psychology programs, what made you decide to do so instead of Public health?

PsyD4Me,

I am finishing up my MPH this semester.

Public health and clinical psychology are independent professions, with the former focusing on population-level health, and the latter on clinical research, and the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of behavioral health disorders. However, some degree of overlap exists between the professions, as you may pursue advanced research training in both fields. Public health is so diverse that you could pretty much design your own curriculum. Oftentimes, you will find that your personal interests can shape your research direction. For example, I knew coming into my MPH program that I wanted to pursue research in psychiatry. I have been fortunate enough to find a research mentor who encouraged me to incorporate my public health skills in conducting research in this area. Some people call this combination "public mental health" or "mental health." Regardless, it has allowed me to pursue research that combined elements of two burgeoning areas of inquiry.

I am looking into clinical psychology programs because I am interested in pursuing a career in which I may combine my interest in research with clinical practice. I considered medical school, but find it hard to imagine eight years without research! I also enjoy teaching, and hope to ultimately work in an academic setting. My public health training has incredibly enriched my understanding of clinical research, epidemiology, and public mental health, and has provided me with the opportunity to hone my research skills and publish five papers. This kind of experience, I hope, will only accentuate my applications to PhD programs in clinical psychology.

In short, the MPH can be a unique, although somewhat circuitous, way to begin a career in clinical psychology. More importantly, if you decide that you really enjoy public health, you can actually get a job with an MPH! An MA in Psychology is pretty much useless, unless you want to teach high school psychology.

Hope that covers it. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

PH