PTCAS GPA Calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coach Hoski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting hurt by these? I know they said that most schools recalculate, but I had some poor grades early on in college and I have many retake credits. I have a 2.9 without counting the classes I retook, and just under a 2.7 counting them both! :eek:
I have so much experience, a year of working outpatient ortho full time, 270 hours interning in an outpatient neuro clinic, and 50 hours volunteering in inpatient. GRE is 1150 (490V,660Q, 4.5A) It's frustrating seeing all my hard work retaking classes from when I was young and stupid negated by that system.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting hurt by these? I know they said that most schools recalculate, but I had some poor grades early on in college and I have many retake credits. I have a 2.9 without counting the classes I retook, and just under a 2.7 counting them both! :eek:
I have so much experience, a year of working outpatient ortho full time, 270 hours interning in an outpatient neuro clinic, and 50 hours volunteering in inpatient. GRE is 1150 (490V,660Q, 4.5A) It's frustrating seeing all my hard work retaking classes from when I was young and stupid negated by that system.

Yes, my GPA was also downgraded. Fortunately not all schools are under PTCAS. So try applying elsewhere.

Can you tell me which schools are not under PTCAS? My gpa is below 3.0 counting both as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
NOVA Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, FL: Min CGPA: 2.75 pre-req GPA: 2.75. Not using PTCAS. January Deadline.

Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA: Min CGPA: 2.8 pre-req GPA: I think 3.0 but it may be 2.8 also. Not using PTCAS. December Deadline.

There are a few more...look them up...I probably dont want to do this b/c it might decrease my chances of getting in but hey, I know how ya'll feel, since we are all on the same boat, but I like to help people out.

There is a spreadhseet on APTA website that actaully list the min. GPA on all the schools. The link is below...I dont know if it's up to date, it does say it was last updated on 6/18/08

Cut and paste this link or click on it: http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...MPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=49367

Last edited:
I was just looking at my GPA calculations by PTCAS and im fearing that may really hurt me. My freshman year of college I failed out and transferred, since then ive been doing great..I hope some schools will take that into serious consideration.

I was just looking at the dates on the previous posts on this thread and just saw one of my first post. I need to get a life.

I dont think your freshman year will have a huge impact. there are a lot of applicants that messed up their first year and they still have gotten in since then because they were like you, and worked their butt off to get that GPA up. Now, I dont know how programs will look at it if someone gets kicked out of school for....lets say cheating or something.

Oh and I totally forgot about this link: http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?...ONTENTID=49367

It would have helped people with lower stats and definitely me again this year.

I submitted my transcripts in Oct. and still haven't had the GPA calculated. Do you think I should call them?

Nova Southeastern University does use PTCAS.

You should really check when I posted that. Do you know this thread was started 2 years ago. Haha, anyway, NOVA does use PTCAS now.

yea calling ptcas wont hurt. although they often have no idea what they are talking about.

Ha Ha. I just saw that it had been updated didn't realize that it was from awhile back.

Just to clarify how it works, the GPA is supposed to be calculated when your transcripts are sent in, even before you send in your PTCAS app right?

No, your GPA isn't calculated until you pay PTCAS the money when you submit your application. If you've submitted your app and haven't had your GPA calculated yet, call PTCAS and they can let you know what date they are working on.

Will schools look at both the PTCAS GPA calculation and the transcript GPA? Also, when they say minimum requirement is a 3.0 do they mean according to the PTCAS calculation or transcript calculation?

If you don't mid coming to the midwest, Mizzou has freshman forgiveness. They aren't PTCAS and they calculate your GPA based on the most current 60 credit hours. I'm a first year DPT student and love the program

did anyone else's GPA go up after PTCAS calculations? I had a 3.38 overall but after PTCAS it was a 3.44. Um, sweet???