PTCB cert before or after landing a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiThumbi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to get at job at least as a cashier at a pharmacy and can't get one anywhere!!!! ahh!...I have no previous pharmacy experience so I was just wondering would it be smart to go ahead and study and get ptcb certification and just go for a tech position. Anyone else go this route or would recommend it. And is experience necessary to pass the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends where you are. Some states require that you get certification before.

I would just go for a job, get on the job training, and then take the test after 3 months, that way the company pays for you test. I didn't do much book studying for the test I took, but I was on the job for 20+ months when I took it, so the calculations came pretty easy to me.

The only trouble I had was with some weird questions corresponding to laminar hoods, and some law questions about DEA Order Forms.

It only helps your resume and chances of getting a job to be certified. Experience is not necessary to pass the test it only helps with brand/generic questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
you must be in California? I am having the same problem, and I am going to take the September PTCB exam.

I am in Colorado and I had a job offer after I finished the 12 week course in June and it was before the exam (August). I agree that it all depends on where you live, location of the store, what hours the stores are looking (full time or part time?), and etc ....

also, if the store is new and just built, they offer full time jobs but you have to talk to the pharmacy manager/pharmacist right away....

any of you guys take online course for your pharm tech cert?

So I've been trying to get at job at least as a cashier at a pharmacy and can't get one anywhere!!!! ahh!...I have no previous pharmacy experience so I was just wondering would it be smart to go ahead and study and get ptcb certification and just go for a tech position. Anyone else go this route or would recommend it. And is experience necessary to pass the exam?

I know how you feel. In the world of pharmacy, it's tough to get your "foot in the door." Often, it's about how much experience you have and who you know that gets you that job.

Keep applying for pharmacy clerk positions. Summer is practically over and many students go back to school at this time. So, I'm sure there will be more part-time job openings. In addition, its almost the flu/cold season when everyone gets sick, so pharmacies will need more help.

I suggest volunteering at a hospital. You never know, they might like you and hire you when there is an opening.

Do take the PTCE right now since you only need to be over 18 years old and have a high school diploma to take the test. When you do pass, you'll be ready to jump on the next available pharmacy tech position (since more and more pharmacies require their techs to be certified now).

good luck

p.s. you don't need pharmacy experience to pass the PTCE. I recommend studying from a review book.

<Threadjack>
I work for CVS and the training gave me a book to study the national PTCB exam. I'm wondering if this book is efficient or should I purchase the Joe Merinda study guide. Please help!
</end of Treadjack>

<Threadjack>
I work for CVS and the training gave me a book to study the national PTCB exam. I'm wondering if this book is efficient or should I purchase the Joe Merinda study guide. Please help!
</end of Treadjack>

Dude, his name is Joe Medina, and he is one of my favorites teachers I have ever had. I took the 12 week course with him and I passed the exam first try and I would suggest you to get the book but that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to pass just because you have a book, you need to be positive, confident, and study the pharmacy laws and memorize all the drugs and conversions.... I have all the topics of what you need to study listed in the previous posts....I hope you do well in it...

if you are in california, even if you take the ptcb you may find that it is hard to get a tech job. nobody is going to hire you if you have no experience. take the ptcb and find a clerk job but let them know you are certified so that you can move in ranks quicker...

Dude, his name is Joe Medina, and he is one of my favorites teachers I have ever had. I took the 12 week course with him and I passed the exam first try and I would suggest you to get the book but that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to pass just because you have a book, you need to be positive, confident, and study the pharmacy laws and memorize all the drugs and conversions.... I have all the topics of what you need to study listed in the previous posts....I hope you do well in it...