PTCB questions.. I need help....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jungjh9001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to have PTCB certificate in your mail?
I heard that right after you finish the exam, you can find out whether you passed or failed the exam.. is this true?

I have Mosby's PTCB prep book.. if I study that book for about a month and take the exam (take it in May),would that be enough?
(I have final exams coming up soon, so it might take longer.. but..)

I hope I can start working as pharmacy technician sometime over the summer..
I'm not sure if this is an ideal plan..

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It took them a few weeks to mail me my results. And things may have changed since I took the exam *In summer of 2008* but I didn't find out if I passed or failed until I received my certificate.

I'd think that a month of reading the book should be more than adequate preparation. But it's really going to vary by person.

I think you can now find out immediately if you pass or fail because it is all computerized. Just check the website. But yeah, a month with that book would be more than enough.

How long does it take to have PTCB certificate in your mail?
I heard that right after you finish the exam, you can find out whether you passed or failed the exam.. is this true?

I have Mosby's PTCB prep book.. if I study that book for about a month and take the exam (take it in May),would that be enough?
(I have final exams coming up soon, so it might take longer.. but..)

I hope I can start working as pharmacy technician sometime over the summer..
I'm not sure if this is an ideal plan..

Thank you

You heard right. Since its a test u take on a pc, you find out if you pass or fail as soon as you finish the exam. Although, you don't find out your exact score until you receive your results by mail. Mine took about 3 weeks to receive. I used the same book and took it within a month and a half of having started reading it. I passed the test easily, but the book by Mosby has many errors...so be careful when reading it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Right after you finish the test, the screen will show you whether you pass or fail. They'll print you a copy of that pass/fail page when you check out. The official certificate will be mailed within a few weeks as mentioned above.
The test shouldnt be that hard. Good luck!!

Everyone else has given accurate responses, I just wanted add that I thought it was pretty easy as well. I didn't study for it at all, but at the same time I've got about 4 years of retail and hospital experience. Even without that though most of the exam is pretty basic math, middle school level algebra at the most. Some basic drug questions that you can likely figure out with a broad idea of common drugs. I think there were a few law type questions but, again, nothing difficult. It should all be covered in the book and I would expect the book to be a bit of overkill.
There was one question that asked which drug to recommend to a patient; I though that was a bit beyond the scope of a tech's work but whatever.

With the printed test results you should be able to satisfy any job req's until you get the actual certificate.

It took about 3 weeks too for me to get my cert. I learned that I passed the test after taking it. However, it wasn't until the cert came that I learned the exact scores. I used Mosby's only too. How long you'll have to study will just depend on how much you already know and how fast you can memorize information. Although the cert came in 3 weeks, I had to apply for a state license (California) so that I could start volunteering directly in the pharmacy of a hospital. It took the CA Board of Pharmacy the whole 3 months (as listed on their application) to process the license. Good luck!

Is the computers final score correct ? because on the PTCB website it says that a panel of judges grade your test and decide whether you pass or fail by comparing it to other test and then scaling it???? if the computer spits out your grade right after you finish your test then what about the judges and stuff?

Is the computers final score correct ? because on the PTCB website it says that a panel of judges grade your test and decide whether you pass or fail by comparing it to other test and then scaling it???? if the computer spits out your grade right after you finish your test then what about the judges and stuff?

No grade.

Just PASS or FAIL.

To the best of knowledge, that particular "grade" never changes when it gets to the "judges."

anyone recently pass Maryland license? and did you use prontopass MD law to study?

Thanks!