Pterygopalatine Blocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenGentleman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a current pain fellow and trying to learn more about the technical aspects of performing blocks in the pterygopalatine fossa. I'm striking out on finding a good source for reading more about these procedures. Is anyone able to recommend a solid reference for this that details fluoro guided technique and needle positioning for blocking the various structures? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a current pain fellow and trying to learn more about the technical aspects of performing blocks in the pterygopalatine fossa. I'm striking out on finding a good source for reading more about these procedures. Is anyone able to recommend a solid reference for this that details fluoro guided technique and needle positioning for blocking the various structures? Thanks.

Look at Narouze. Book on interventional Mgmt of headache/ head pain. Not great but there is nothing better

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
The injection is somewhat challenging, navigating the fissure and is sometimes difficult if the wall of the maxillary sinus bone is thickened. For home installation of bupivicaine I prepare a needle cap by boring a hole through it and have the patient insert the capped needle deep into the nares and inject 1 ml of bupivicaine.

Sent from my SM-G930U using SDN mobile