PTSD + Substance Abuse principal investigators

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go_Coogs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! :)

I'm gearing up for the 2017-2018 Clinical application cycle, and my primary research interests and background deal with PTSD and substance abuse. However, it seems extraordinarily difficult to find PI's who share both of these interests.

I was wondering if anybody here had any recommendations! Here's who I have so far:

Dr. Meghan McDevitt-Murphy (Memphis)
Dr. Todd Moore (Tennessee)
Dr. Matthew Tull (Toledo)

Thanks for the time you guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

While I do not believe in the self medication hypothesis: Jennifer Read at suny buffalo has produced some of the most excellent and innovative work in this area.

Reactions: 1 user
One recommendation I have would be to also consider good PTSD PIs in general. Your research interests do not need to exactly align with a PI, and SUDs are comorbid enough in PTSD that it would be extremely easy to do such research in pretty much any PTSD lab. One advantage of having a slightly different focus is that you do not need to fight over resources as much with other labmates.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha! Perhaps researching their co-authors on manuscripts would be productive. :)

Has anyone in here worked with or currently works with a PTSD P.I., and can offer insight into their experiences?

A good way to start:

1) Go here: Query Form - NIH RePORTER - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results (this is a database of all current funding from the NIH for research, including research from NIH agencies that specialize in substance use disorders like NIAAA and NIDA)
2) Enter the search terms you care about into the "text search" box
3) You can limit by organization type or department to weed out research being done at places that are unlikely to have clinical programs. "Schools of Arts and Sciences" under organization type and "Psychology" for department type are probably good options to narrow it down.

I searched for ((PTSD OR trauma) AND ("substance use" OR alcohol or drug)) to keep the options as wide as possible, and then narrowed to Psychology departments and got 46 results. That means that there are at least 46 funded projects out there with your interests in their abstract/description, which is a good sign! I don't know how familiar you are with the funding system, but projects that start with the letter R (R01, R21) are likely to have faculty as the PIs, so the names listed are good people to google to see if they take grad students, are in clinical psych programs, etc. Grants that start with a F (F31, for example) are pre-doctoral or post-doctoral fellowships; that means the PI listing will be a graduate student or postdoc, but still a good place to start because that person's faculty mentors may be interested in working with students like yourself.

Good luck, OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Sonya Norman at UCSD/SDSU, although I'm not sure if she mentors grad students

I also second SUNY Buffalo's program. I know for a fact that some of the grad students there have gone on to further training in SUDS and PTSD.

Last edited: