Public College Post-Bacc success?!?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by kiskadee321, May 12, 2007.

1. kiskadee321

Can some (or all) of you who have done (or tried to do) your post-bacc at a non-Ivy or even a public college share your experiences? Since med school will be a major ($$) undertaking and since I will probably have to work and go to school while doing the post-bacc, I'm considering the Stony Brook (SUNY) or City College (CUNY) programs.

Do you think that if I just work my butt off for the next 1 1/2 - 2 yrs and get excellent grades (3.5+) I can make the cut? I did pretty well in undergrad (3.8), double majored (poli sci & economics) and wrote a B.A. Honors thesis. I just want to know, for instance, if I apply to a program that is less costly will I get the same results? I've considered taking these courses all on my own and also doing a second degree but I've read threads that have discouraged me from such an undertaking. So now the question is, should I go to a private big name program or can less costly endeavors take me there?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lawnboy313

7+ Year Member

The only advantage to going to a private "big name" program versus an affordable one is the possibility of using a linkage. At larger programs like Columbia, this isn't much of an advantage, because far too many people are competing for the few linkages. At Goucher, where there are 8 linked schools and only 30 or so students, you have a good shot at actually using one. Everywhere, reputation or not, it's the same deal if going through the normal, unlinked process--you must have a great GPA, a great MCAT, great EC's, great LOR's, great luck, etc. to eventually get in somewhere.

You might find that it's easier to stand out as an outstanding student at a public, less-competitive program/school. That's been my experience. I decided to do my post-bac at UConn rather than at Yale. I collected a bunch of very strong recommendations over the year because it wasn't too hard to stand out among the UConn undergrads. I imagine at Yale I would have been a bit more average. However, my decision was also shaped by the fact that UConn was much cheaper, I'd take more classes, and it was linked to UConn med, so there was really no downside to the decision.

If you want to stay in NY, I say don't hesistate to do CUNY or SUNY--the cost doesn't make Columbia worth it. If moving is a possibility, you have the stats (if you've done some volunteering) to get into Goucher or Bryn Mawr, which, IMHO, would be the only east coast programs worth their sizeable tuitions. Regardless of where you end up, if you continue to do as well as you did with your undergrad, I think you'll definitely make the cut. Good luck!

4. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't know what people's fascination with Ivy-League schools is all about. A 4.0 at some no-name school is better than a 3.5 in the same coursework at any Ivy-League anyway. In terms of public post-bacc programs, University of California-Davis' program has about an 80-86% success rate (e.g., post-bacc students getting into med school). That should be on par with the other UC post-bacc programs including UCSF. Its important to note that UCSF's program is actually tied to San Francisco State University...which is "less prestigious" than the University of California, BUT as you can see, it still gets people into med school--aslong as they do well.

On the flip side, being at a big name school (public, ivy-league, or non-ivy league, etc) does have additional advantages such as resources. Professors at these schools may have interesting research. For instance, California State Univeristy's (not University of California), like San Francisco State Univ don't have a lot of research being done. Most of the Cal State schools only offer a masters degree anyway, so the research experiences here may be limited in both number and breadth.

At the more prestigious schools their hospitals may provide you with more interesting things to experience. The pre-med advising may be better at these schools since they are tightly associated with their respective med school's admissions committee. However speaking in terms of only academics, it doesn't make a difference where you go.:luck:

5. kiskadee321

you've both given me new things to consider when deciding on my program.