Public/Community Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freudster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone please care to comment on the Community/Public Psychiatry fellowships, such as that offered by Columbia?

For instance, what is the job market for the graduates of such programs and what types of positions do they typically go into?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a permanent public psychiatry person. Never wanted to do private practice. And I'm happy to explain the advantages of community mental health - but I don't think that's what you're after. I don't know anything about the fellowships, but your question are excellent ones for the fellowship director.

Would someone please care to comment on the Community/Public Psychiatry fellowships, such as that offered by Columbia?

For instance, what is the job market for the graduates of such programs and what types of positions do they typically go into?

Thank you!

Check out the website for Columbia's public psychiatry fellowship. They have excellent information on the fellowship as well as a comprehensive list of their alumni and where they practice. According to the website, they are "the oldest, largest and best known program training post-graduate psychiatrists to be public sector leaders." They have been around for nearly 30 yrs and have graduated something like 220 alumni. It sounds like the place to be if you want a great education and major prestige in the field.

http://ppf.hs.columbia.edu/

Could anyone offer a comparison of the following fellowships:

Columbia: Oldest program, most prestige, good pay. Rotate through one site the entire year, so lack of diversity there
Penn: Able to work in multiple different sites during the year, increased pay if you commit to two years. Seems to have a good reputation
UCSF: Lowest pay but seems like a prestigious program. Cost of living very high
UW: Not a formal community program, but has a special integrative care fellowship.

I'm looking for a big city experience, with hopefully not too crazy of a workload. Also looking for good experience with diverse populations. Would prefer to live somewhere I would not require a car. Any inputs appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!