Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

public health and surgery

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by greaper, Dec 6, 2005.

1. greaper

greaper Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi friends, i read on one of the posts in this forum that there is a sub category of MPH which is public health and surgery. Really interested in getting more info on that and the schools that provide that.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If I recall correctly it was a guy interested in going into surgery and was wondering if an MPH would be beneficial for him. I think the concensus was generally affirmative with the usual caveats.

4. pedsid

pedsid Member
    5+ Year Member

i know of no school that has a concentration in this. I know the brigham has a center for surgery and public health ...

5. greaper

greaper Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks pepsid, will try to search more of Brigham to get info on this.

6. Ranger47

Ranger47 Doctor G
    10+ Year Member

I am doing an MPH at Utah and a guy in my class is like a 5th year neurosurg resident. He could either take a year for research or an MPH.

7. eccles1214

eccles1214 Member
    5+ Year Member

i, too, am interested in this area. i know of no such programs, but I have yet to check through more MPH programs descriptions. as an aside, just finished reading "Contact wounds: a war surgeon's education" by Jonathan Kaplan, an itinerant orthopedic surgeon who travels the globe doing pro-bono surgery in combat zones, such as Angola, the Middle East, etc. a bit too personal at times (too much about his sexual affairs), it is nevertheless an interesting book for anyone with an interest in world health and surgery.

8. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I doubt you'd have to find a program "just" for surgery MPH stuff. I mean, do you hear pediatricians complaining that their MPH program is too internal medicine? Neurologists seeking a neurology MPH? I think to have a great MPH experience you just need to get a great grounding in the basics (which are practically identical no matter what field you're in), a well-rounded public health education (not sure it's possible with 1-year programs), and a mentor to do research with. No reason your mentor can't be a surgeon and your research involves surgical stuff.

9. greaper

greaper Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks Ranger, Now i get it how the surgery and MPH thing is feasible, one year of research or MPH. Thanks a million for the info.