Public Health Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fb0676

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences in 2016 with a 2.99 GPA. My plan was to apply to dental school but my GPA is really low and I took the DAT in March 2017 and got an average score. My plans are to retake it in November 2017 and score higher. However, I feel like I need to improve my GPA majorly which is why I applied for a BMS and got rejected due to poor grades and DAT. Therefore, I was thinking of doing an MPH degree because at least if it does not help me get in, I can at least work with it. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want the MPH mostly to help you get into dental school - and if not, as a backup plan - my advice is don't spend too much $$ on the MPH. I think it's a workable plan if you're also interested in public health outside of dentistry. Though what concentration do you plan to choose?

An MPH will not help you get into dental school. Only do the MPH if you're interested in public health (i.e. public health dentistry). If becoming a dentist is your only goal, take science-heavy undergrad classes to boost your GPA and forget the MPH.