Public Health Dentistry in the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batmansvoice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general route to becoming a public health dentist in any of the three branches of the military? I was looking up some of the data put up by Major Mower and others that shows that it usually varies when one is accepted to a public health slot in a program. Would already having an MPH help in getting a position as a public health dentist? Or would they expect you to do an AEGD and practice as a general dentist for 3-4 years with a strong military record/deployment before the chance to be accepted as a public health dentist? I was just curious if there was any precedent of them taking a dentist either right out of school or 1-2 years out for this role. I already have an MPH so I was wondering if this would make me qualified to apply for this right out of school or if I would have to wait (and if the latter, how long would I generally serve before having a good chance of getting accepted?). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the general route to becoming a public health dentist in any of the three branches of the military? I was looking up some of the data put up by Major Mower and others that shows that it usually varies when one is accepted to a public health slot in a program. Would already having an MPH help in getting a position as a public health dentist? Or would they expect you to do an AEGD and practice as a general dentist for 3-4 years with a strong military record/deployment before the chance to be accepted as a public health dentist? I was just curious if there was any precedent of them taking a dentist either right out of school or 1-2 years out for this role. I already have an MPH so I was wondering if this would make me qualified to apply for this right out of school or if I would have to wait (and if the latter, how long would I generally serve before having a good chance of getting accepted?). Thank you!
In the Army I have not seen them allow a graduating dental student to apply and go straight into the program...doesn't mean they won't, but I believe that because this is such a different career path they want to make sure you enter into it with both eyes wide opened and you definately want to do it.

For that reason they typically only allow someone on active duty to apply for it (no other prerequisites besides being on active duty). Again...doesn't mean you can't ask for it your senior year of dental school (if on HPSP)...they can always make an exception...I have seen them do this for someone as a direct accession for oral pathology.

The program itself is usually 2 years done at the Iowa.

Last edited:

I don't think we've ever had anyone want to apply right out of school, so I'm not sure if it would be allowed or not. Having a MPH will not hurt you in your desire to be a public health dentist. I believe there is some additional training that must be accomplished beyond a MPH to get a postion though.