Public health major seeks guidance for MD/PhD...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idontwatchgreysanatomy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My pre-med advisor is pretty sharp regarding the MD process, but doesn't have much experience with the MD/PhD process, so I thought this sub-forum would be the best place to ask for a little guidance.

Background
Major: BS in Public Health (2018)
cGPA: 4.0
MCAT: To be taken in May 2017
Research Interests: My main area of interest is in the transgender community. Current research is more epidemiological in nature, but I would like to pursue a PhD in Physiology to further study the long-term effects of cross-sex hormone replacement therapy. Pretty specific, I know.
Research experience:
  • Created a research project investigating health disparities of the transgender community, discrimination faced within a clinical setting, and denial of care based on gender identity. Received backing (not financial, just involvement) by state medical school. First exposure to grant writing, IRB submittal process, and research design.
  • Longitudinal case study of the effects of exogenous testosterone on the larynx of a female-to-male transgender vocalist. Tasked with writing literature review regarding the role of Speech-Language Pathology in transitioning for transgender patients, particularly FtM who either do not respond to exogenous testosterone or elect to forego HRT. Research through state medical school's Otolaryngology department.
  • Study of the effect that cost has on receiving HIV testing in an emergency department setting. Research through major hospital system.
Volunteering:
  • Over 100 hours with outreach clinic that provides free medical treatment to patients of low socioeconomic status. Work directly with physicians, direct patient contact.
  • Approx. 50 hours as volunteer in hospital of state medical school
  • Serve on patient advisory board with aforementioned outreach clinic
  • Serve on transgender health committee of state medical school

My largest concern at the moment is my lack of lab research. I recently applied to a handful of summer research programs and have heard positive feedback from several, which sounds promising. Programs I applied to (non-specific for anonymity sake): UCSF, Harvard, Yale, Case Western Reserve, OHSU, University of Washington, UCLA, University of Cincinnati, Mount Sinai, NIH, Boston University, Northwestern, and Washington University St. Louis. I'm hoping that gaining acceptance in one of these programs will help provide me with the skills necessary to succeed in lab research. Currently, my only exposure to lab work is through 1.5 years of biology, physiology, and chemistry.

What should I be focusing on? I'm concerned that my non-science major will be somewhat of a red flag, despite several people claiming otherwise. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Already PM'ed you, but I'll just reiterate what I think you already know: That if a bench science PhD is what you're going for, you of course need more experience in that area. Otherwise you're solid on all other fronts. Keep up the grades, take advanced science courses even if they aren't for your major, and kill the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Already PM'ed you, but I'll just reiterate what I think you already know: That if a bench science PhD is what you're going for, you of course need more experience in that area. Otherwise you're solid on all other fronts. Keep up the grades, take advanced science courses even if they aren't for your major, and kill the MCAT.

I think you're right about applying to programs that offer Epi. I'm going to try to get more lab experience so I can make a more informed decision on what path to take. Thanks.

Agree with looking into clinical and translational science programs. Also, don't rule out epidemiology either. I know quite a few faculty tying that in with more basic science type work.