Public Health Nutrition - Which programs are best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPHStudent2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I've applied to different programs for Public Health Nutrition and wanted advice on might be best. I'm interested in working for an international organization like UNICEF or WFP on Maternal and Child Health & Nutrition but want to make sure I'm choosing a good program. There doesn't seem to be a ton of info floating around about public health nutrition programs!!

So far I've heard from:
Yes: NYU Public Health Nutrition, University of Washington Maternal and Child Health, Tufts Public Health Nutrition, Tulane Public Health Nutrition, Hunter College Public Health Nutrition
No: UC Berkeley (Maternal & Child Health Concentration, Nutrition specialty)

Does anyone know about these programs? I'm leaning NYU because it's in NY, which is where I work now, and the school has a good reputation but I can't find it ranked anywhere and it's heinously EXPENSIVE. Any ideas/comments?

Thanks!!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The University of North Carolina (UNC-Chapel Hill) has a MPH Nutrition/Dietitian program. Excellent school and I've heard great things about the program. After completing the 2-year program you may sit for the national board exam to become a Registered Dietitian. I will be applying next year although I need to increase my chances cause it's a pretty competitive program. Average GPA 3.6, GRE 1250, and around 200 applicants for 24 slots is what I was told. I've heard Tufts has a great program as well. I don't know much about the other programs you applied to but I'm sure they're all great and Congrats on getting accepted!

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm still a third year undergrad so I don't know if you should be listening to me :p, but I'd suggest looking at the coursework and seeing what best matches your interests, look into research professors at the schools are doing, visit the schools and ask where alumni are now, and consider doing a program that includes a dietary internship...from what I understand, an RD is an important degree to hold if you want to go into nutrition. You're right, there isn't that much information on public health nutrition! I'm also looking into it and it's kind of unsettling! Have you researched job prospects? Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Tufts Public Health Nutrition program is well-known. I don't know specifics but know two people who went there and enjoyed the program immensely. If possible, maybe try to visit the schools if you haven't done so, and see where there is a fit.

Hi guys! I've applied to different programs for Public Health Nutrition and wanted advice on might be best. I'm interested in working for an international organization like UNICEF or WFP on Maternal and Child Health & Nutrition but want to make sure I'm choosing a good program. There doesn't seem to be a ton of info floating around about public health nutrition programs!!

So far I've heard from:
Yes: NYU Public Health Nutrition, University of Washington Maternal and Child Health, Tufts Public Health Nutrition
No: UC Berkeley (Maternal & Child Health Concentration, Nutrition specialty)
Waiting on: Tulane Public Health Nutrition, Hunter College Public Health Nutrition

Does anyone know about these programs? I'm leaning NYU because it's in NY, which is where I work now, and the school has a good reputation but I can't find it ranked anywhere and it's heinously EXPENSIVE. Any ideas/comments?

Thanks!!
:)

I think Tufts Public Health Nutrition program is well-known. I don't know specifics but know two people who went there and enjoyed the program immensely. If possible, maybe try to visit the schools if you haven't done so, and see where there is a fit.

Friedman school of nutrition is a great school, but I haven't heard good things about their public health program :/

Tulane looks like a great program!

But yeah, definitely visit :) and let me know what you think!

On the topic of public health nutrition, does anyone know what sort of careers an MPH in public health nutrition can lead to, and why it isn't a more popular field? A friend at Harvard tells me there's a lot of excitement at Harvard surrounding public health nutrition, especially with growing obesity rates and Michelle Obama's campaign, but then why do nutrition students still only constitute 2% of population at public health schools?