Public Health Professor for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwarfplanet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have a non-science and a science LOR, so I’m trying to get one more science LOR. Right now I’m working closely on a paper with one of my former professors who taught me a public health course, and I feel that they would be willing to write me a very good letter, but I’m wondering if a letter by a public health professor (they taught me epidemiology, to be specific) course would be considered a science LOR. Can anyone give me some insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I already have a non-science and a science LOR, so I’m trying to get one more science LOR. Right now I’m working closely on a paper with one of my former professors who taught me a public health course, and I feel that they would be willing to write me a very good letter, but I’m wondering if a letter by a public health professor (they taught me epidemiology, to be specific) course would be considered a science LOR. Can anyone give me some insight?
Science/Non-science is based on the department the professor is from not necessarily the class that was taught. If they are from the Biology department or some other hard science teaching public health, then yes. If not then find someone else.

Thats isnt quite correct. While AMCAS uses BCPM as “science” (even though that depends solely on course content and not dept), for LOR science is defined as would be commonly used across colleges. Typically this is what the faculty has a professorship in, not the department in which they reside. For example, John Doe, PhD, assoc professor of neurobiology, dept of psychology while Jane Smith, professor of history of science, department of biology would not be.

As for a public health prof, many schools will not consider that science. Get a different letter
Thank you for correcting me! Will give better info in the future!