Public health research... MPH or PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love2bfit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so I've been going back and forth about this quite a bit over the past few months, and I could really use some opinions. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should pursue a PhD in clinical psych or an MPH (or possibly some type of combined degree). My interests are in behavioral medicine/health psych/public health. Ideally, I'd like to do research in this area. I am really interested in the link between mental health and physical health, and just health in general. I'm all set to apply to doctoral programs this coming fall for clinical psych, but I'm starting to have doubts about whether or not this is the right career choice for me. I do love psychology, but I'm not really all that interested in doing psychotherapy, and from what I gather the Phd route is a long and super stressful one. Can anyone offer any advice/opinions? It would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, I'm in my first year as an MPH student, and I can tell you that it is an excellent way to learn about intersections of social, biological, and behavioral factors that affect health. I am also interested in behavioral medicine, but also considering either an MD/DO or a health psychologist. Whether you decide to pursue the Ph.D. or not, the MPH degree will allow you to conduct research in clinical settings and work with psychologists, physicians, and other medical staff.

You don't have to be a clinical psychologist, but your research could focus on clinical topics like patient attitudes toward medical care, patient satisfaction, or in stigmas about receiving psychiatric care. I hope this helps.