public health service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkaz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I list the Public Health Service as my first choice when I apply to USUHS? I went to the Public Health Service's homepage, but I couldn't seem to find information on what exactly they do, and how they compare to military brances like army, navy, AF. So what exactly does the PHS do, and how does it compare to the other branches in terms of opportunities, etc? Considering that I have a master's degree in public health, I feel I should know something more about it... but I don't, unfortunately. I wonder if having an MPH would help in me getting a PHS spot. However, I've heard those spots fill fast, and my application will be processed late (as I've submitted my application already, but am taking the September MCAT).

Any info would be most appreciated... thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

google the PHS commissioned corps, it had a lot of info when i was curious about what they do.....and also, theres a seperate PHS forum on Student Doc Network...go to Forums ---> USPHS / IHS

Hey thanks for suggesting the USPHS.gov webiste... it did have a good deal of useful information.

I also checked out the Public Health Service/IHS forum, but there were few threads there (and many of them were from pharmacy students). I did a search on this site, but I couldn't find much helpful information on joining the PHS as a medical student.

I've read threads on this forum about the negatives about military medicine... but it seems everyone is talking about navy, army, or air force. Do the same limitations of military medicine apply to the PHS?

I have gotten a request from USUHS for supplementary information (asking me to write essays etc)... but I feel a bit uncertain after reading the threads about people's negative experiences with military medicine. However, since the PHS would be my first choice, I want to know how it compares with other military branches in terms of personal risk, opportunities, etc... and I don't seem to be able to find that information anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I applied to USUHS and did get one of the PHS spots. From what I understood, u have to serve in USPHS for seven years. I was a prior service for another branch, and the fact that I wanted to go PHS didn't factor into their admissions decision. USUHS strictly accept people based on their GPA, MCAT, and experiences. Then, they place people to different services based on what they choose and what spots the school has.
Through PHS, you can pretty much choose any residency you want, but u have to match into it, and it can only be through civilian; ie if you want to dermatology, you have to get a derm spot somewhere in the US residency location. That is if you quickly get the Indian Health Service spot. I did not mind this, but I want to go oversea for a little bit - not in the middle east though - after I finish my residency.
Another spot they have open is doing research at NIH for seven years after your residency. I figured if I take this option, by the time I get out (which is seven years) my clinical skills would deteriorate a lot, and I didn't want that.
PHS, espeically IHS, is really cool, if you don't mind serving in an underserved area. Another con: they don't promote quick and often compare to my service.

Actually, the USPHS promotes faster than other services. Also there is no don't-ask don't-tell if you're ummm of a different persuasion.

12 years TED & at least 6 months active duty = Promotion to O-4. This means for FP, IM, EM, Peds you are promoted after 1 year post-residency (4 years undergrad, 4 years med, 3 years residency, 1 year experience = 12 years TED). For 4 year specialties you are promoted immediately if you come out of USUHS or 6 months otherwise. Promo to O-5 is another 5 years versus 6 years in the NAVY. The only bummer is that promo to O-6 takes 7 years versus 6 in the NAVY, but in the end you still come out ahead (16 years post-med school to reach captain in PHS vs 18 years in the NAVY)

See for yourself: http://usphs-ppac.org/PPAC2007Docs/..._Medical_Officers_Coming_Out_Of_Residency.doc

and Page 18 of http://dcp.psc.gov/eccis/documents/CCPM23_3_4.pdf

Compared to NAVY: NAVY Promotion to O-4 for FP, IM, EM, Peds = 6 years after promotion to O-3 (Start of internship year) = THREE YEARS post-residency before promotion vs. 1 year for PHS, for 4 year residencies = TWO YEARS post-residency vs. immediately/6 months for PHS. Another 6 to reach O-5. Another 6 to reach O-6.

Also, if you take a peek at the officer distribution you will see they are topside heavy, and like it that way: http://ehopac.org/minutes/EHOPAC125.pdf

There was another site that I had used, but can't find it, the above is a good substitute though... the breakdown is:
33% O-6,
28% O-5,
21% O-4,
13% O-3,
4% O-2.

One other thing that was strange, they call VSP (variable special pay) by a different name: RSP (Retention special pay), though it's the same exact amount.

Lastly, you may not transfer to the PHS from other uniformed services if you have served more than 8 years in active-duty status in another service, unless a waiver can be justified. So for all you armed forces milmed people out there who hate it but don't want to throw away your time in, I hope you don't have more than 8 years AD or you're SOL (though they are debating changing the limit to 12 years).

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your input. I have decided to withdraw my application at this time, but will seriously consider joining the Public Health Commission Corps after finishing residency. I'm sure I'll still be wanted at that time. :)

Last edited:
Actually, the USPHS promotes faster than other services. Also there is no don't-ask don't-tell if you're ummm of a different persuasion.

12 years TED & at least 6 months active duty = Promotion to O-4. This means for FP, IM, EM, Peds you are promoted after 1 year post-residency (4 years undergrad, 4 years med, 3 years residency, 1 year experience = 12 years TED). For 4 year specialties you are promoted immediately if you come out of USUHS or 6 months otherwise. Promo to O-5 is another 5 years versus 6 years in the NAVY. The only bummer is that promo to O-6 takes 7 years versus 6 in the NAVY, but in the end you still come out ahead (16 years post-med school to reach captain in PHS vs 18 years in the NAVY)

See for yourself: http://usphs-ppac.org/PPAC2007Docs/..._Medical_Officers_Coming_Out_Of_Residency.doc

and Page 18 of http://dcp.psc.gov/eccis/documents/CCPM23_3_4.pdf

Compared to NAVY: NAVY Promotion to O-4 for FP, IM, EM, Peds = 6 years after promotion to O-3 (Start of internship year) = THREE YEARS post-residency before promotion vs. 1 year for PHS, for 4 year residencies = TWO YEARS post-residency vs. immediately/6 months for PHS. Another 6 to reach O-5. Another 6 to reach O-6.

Also, if you take a peek at the officer distribution you will see they are topside heavy, and like it that way: http://ehopac.org/minutes/EHOPAC125.pdf

There was another site that I had used, but can't find it, the above is a good substitute though... the breakdown is:
33% O-6,
28% O-5,
21% O-4,
13% O-3,
4% O-2.

One other thing that was strange, they call VSP (variable special pay) by a different name: RSP (Retention special pay), though it's the same exact amount.

Lastly, you may not transfer to the PHS from other uniformed services if you have served more than 8 years in active-duty status in another service, unless a waiver can be justified. So for all you armed forces milmed people out there who hate it but don't want to throw away your time in, I hope you don't have more than 8 years AD or you're SOL (though they are debating changing the limit to 12 years).

Is the rank and pay scale the same in the Navy and PHS? Also, I was just accepted to USUHS for IHS and wanted to see if any other people have gone through USUHS and are in IHS. I would like their opinion on practicing in the IHS and working and living with the Navajo. Also, in terms of a civilian residency, do you think it was more or less difficult to get into a quality residency due to your being in the IHS. Lastly, is IM generalist included in the fields of practice in the IHS as a USUHS grad? Thanks

I'm a PGY-1 in FM. If I were to join up after finishing, do I get commissioned as an O-3, like also in the Army med?