PUBLIC HEALTH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G Mangle

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH INFORMATION ON SHCOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES WITH PUBLIC HEALTH? FIRST HAND INFORMATION THAT IS. I HAVE VISITED THE WEB SITE AND THINK BEING PAID TO THE NATIONAL NORM FOR SERVING IN AN ASSIGNED UNDERSERVED AREA WOULD NOT BE SO BAD. IS THERE ANY0NE ELSE WHO HAS DONE HIS OR HER HOMEWORK AND CAN ELABORATE?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...I am a graduate student in public health who will be attending med school in the fall. What program(s) are you referring to? Could you please give me the address of the site who mentioned in your post? Thanks and good luck!
Matt

The web site is located at www.bphc.hrsa.dhhs.gov/nhsc/pages/3B1/_nhscschol.htm
It gives a general overview of the programs and outlines how to go about receiving information. To cut out the middle man you may call and order a scholarship packet at 1-800-638-0824. I ordered the fist of December and am still on backorder for forms that are due in March. If you think you're interested it may be wise to order now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my NHSC scholarship packet last week, so they must be mailing them out. It was very informative and answered alot of my questions that the website couldn't. One thing that really annoyed me about the program: If you are awarded a scholarship, you don't receive the funds until November. I know the school I'm attending in the fall will want tuition in August. The NHSC info says that you are responsible for obtaining financing to cover your tuition until they give you your money. The worst part is that they will not pay for loan fees, so that's out of your pocket regardless. I found this aspect of the program a real irritant...

Stef

Kansai -
What kind of information does the application require? Is it similar to the AACOMAS application - requiring a personal statement, a chronological list of work experience...

Requested a packet last week..so I am thinking it may take a while to get here.

Thanks.