Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Public Policy...for anyone who is interested...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BerkeleyPremed, Mar 17, 2004.

1. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm debating on what topic I should choose for my final public policy paper for this semester. Our professor told us to choose a topic and turn it this week and he would approve/disapprove of them and let us know. However, the topic cannot be politicized...in other words...I can't do a paper on arguments against affirmative action or why abortion rights need to be protected. Examples of topics that are primarily concerned with unresolved public policy issues include:
    -How do we bring the dollar coin back into cirulation? (It has been tried three times by the Dept. of Treasury..and failed).
    -How can we protect the freedom to download digital music while also fairly compensating the music artists that produce the music?

I already did papers on the above topics. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good paper topic for this last public policy paper? (The paper will have to be 20 pages long).

2. rager1

rager1 Anatomy-be-gone
    7+ Year Member

This was in the NYTimes a few days ago and seems like an interesting topic...

The public's interest in affordable education has resulted in a long standing tax-exempt status for universities, but the expansion of universities in urban areas has resulted in a decrease in property tax revenue for cities leading to a decrease of municipal funds as more properties become tax-exempt. This has prompted cities to pursue legal action challenging the tax-exempt status that universities currently enjoy. What are the implications of continued tax-exempt status? What are the implications of revocation of tax-exempt status? How does the public interest in education accessibility compare to its interest in the fiscal success of municipalities? Does this have wider implications? What are the existent arrangements between universities and cities that offset tax revenue loss but don't require the a change in the tax exempt status? etc...

hope this is helpful. :)

--Rager

3. LaurieB

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Along the lines of tax-exemption: you could do a paper on tax-exempt status for hospitals. In the past, it was assumed that non-profit hospitals served a charitable purpose so they were given tax-exempt status. Now that is coming into question. Here is an article about one hospital that lost it's tax-exempt status.

4. BerkeleyPremed

Removed

Thanks a LOT for the topic. It sounds fascinating and it looks like I could dig up some good articles about this topic. Have a good one. :)

5. BerkeleyPremed

Removed

Thanks a LOT LaurieB! It sounds like a great topic! The article was really informative as well...thanks for including that. :)