Public service annoucment on awful PAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fancy312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, Ive been doing practice test after practice test and I'm still scoring 16's and 15's on bc for PAT. Im good at angle ranking and I do the hole punching strategy where I put a 4x4 box and go based off the line of symmetry but WHY DO I KEEP SUCKING AT THIS?!? Idk what to do, and my exam is at the end of the month. I feel like im about to vom just thinking about it :sick: Also, I just want to put it out there that I'm applying to a masters first before Dental school as a post bacc to help my application so I do really want at least a 17 on this section...I know it sounds bad to just "settle" and I do really want to do my absolute best, but I am desperate at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

im not clear on what part of PAT you are poor at. So you're good at angles and hole punching but are having trouble with everything else?

im not clear on what part of PAT you are poor at. So you're good at angles and hole punching but are having trouble with everything else?

Angle ranking i scored 12/15 on
the absolute worst is keyhole and TFE....and pattern folding. I am currently doing the generators on bc now. :bang:

did you watch the tutorial videos for PAT academy? if not, watch all of them and do the practice questions. i know it's stressful but the most important thing is to figure out what are you lacking. you can achieve decent score if you practice and fully understand HOW and WHY. Watch all the videos BC provided in PAT academy, and then move on to the questions (every single one has video explanation). after that, i would move on to generators. don't worry about speed, it'll come after you understand how to do them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Take other PAT tests from other test companies.
I think Bootcamp is great, but it's way too hard!
It's discouraging sometimes, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. You need that light.

Take other PAT tests from other test companies.
I think Bootcamp is great, but it's way too hard!
It's discouraging sometimes, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. You need that light.

so if bootcamps PAT score is tough and I keep score 15's and 16's then do you think I can possibly score higher on the real thing? Ugh I hope so.... I'm gonna try a trial on a different company (dat genius) test one to compare.

did you watch the tutorial videos for PAT academy? if not, watch all of them and do the practice questions. i know it's stressful but the most important thing is to figure out what are you lacking. you can achieve decent score if you practice and fully understand HOW and WHY. Watch all the videos BC provided in PAT academy, and then move on to the questions (every single one has video explanation). after that, i would move on to generators. don't worry about speed, it'll come after you understand how to do them.

YOU ARE LITERALLY A GOD SEND for typing that response. I had absolutely no idea about this was on the site till i googled it. currently watching now, cannot thank you enough. I'm gonna watch all of these and retake my PAT tests after to see if I improve. I still got time since its the end of the month right? Right? lol crunch time it is no pressure * nervous laugh

YOU ARE LITERALLY A GOD SEND for typing that response. I had absolutely no idea about this was on the site till i googled it. currently watching now, cannot thank you enough. I'm gonna watch all of these and retake my PAT tests after to see if I improve. I still got time since its the end of the month right? Right? lol crunch time it is no pressure * nervous laugh
haha i know your pain. I'm planning to go to post bacc too. But yea, PAT is not hard to improve. once you get the concept, your scores will improve. Also, don't get discouraged by the scores, the real DAT is easier. I had 10-15 minutes to spare when i took my test. (when i started BC, i couldn't even finish one test). you have plenty of time to get your score up. good luck!

Last edited:
Here is my unsolicited off topic advice. Take it for what you will, its been my experience.

Also, I just want to put it out there that I'm applying to a masters first before Dental school as a post bacc to help my application

A high DAT is the best thing you can do for your application.

If your post bacc/masters is a biology based course, I would HIGHLY suggest putting off your DAT until you complete your further classes. The knowledge you will gain through deeper studies will allow you to crush your bio section and will increase your studying capacity to do better on the other sections. (I know you already paid for everything, but hear me out.)

Taking the DAT before your courses and getting a mediocre score can negatively affect your application. Where taking it only one time after your program and knocking it out of the park will make all the difference.

Here is my unsolicited off topic advice. Take it for what you will, its been my experience.

A high DAT is the best thing you can do for your application.

If your post bacc/masters is a biology based course, I would HIGHLY suggest putting off your DAT until you complete your further classes. The knowledge you will gain through deeper studies will allow you to crush your bio section and will increase your studying capacity to do better on the other sections. (I know you already paid for everything, but hear me out.)

Taking the DAT before your courses and getting a mediocre score can negatively affect your application. Where taking it only one time after your program and knocking it out of the park will make all the difference.

I already took my courses, but my GPA isn't that steller :/

I second the PAT Academy on DAT Bootcamp. DAT Bootcamp happened to be the only practice I got for the PAT section. I also recommend Youtube. There is a lot of helpful information out there. You just have to go looking! Best of luck!

Keep practicing and take the full tests so that you learn to utilize your time effectively. Time is extremely important. Pattern folding and angle ranking were much easier on the real test so don't worry so much! Practice cube counting it was fairly difficult on the real test. I only scored a 22 but hope this help!

I wouldn't say that bootcamp's pat is harder than the real dat. I found that the keyholes and TFE were harder than bc, cube counting and hole punching were the same, and pattern folding and angle ranking were a touch easier. So I wouldn't rely on the idea that bootcamp is harder, but I would say that if you watch PAT academy videos, and do the generators and practice questions (and look at the explanations for the right AND wrong answers), you should be set to do well on the PAT. Definitely make sure you're also practicing building your speed, because finishing 90 questions in 60 minutes isn't easy. Don't lose hope, if you practice, you'll do just fine :)

I wouldn't say that bootcamp's pat is harder than the real dat. I found that the keyholes and TFE were harder than bc, cube counting and hole punching were the same, and pattern folding and angle ranking were a touch easier. So I wouldn't rely on the idea that bootcamp is harder, but I would say that if you watch PAT academy videos, and do the generators and practice questions (and look at the explanations for the right AND wrong answers), you should be set to do well on the PAT. Definitely make sure you're also practicing building your speed, because finishing 90 questions in 60 minutes isn't easy. Don't lose hope, if you practice, you'll do just fine :)

Thank you so much. I just really hope I have enough time since I'm taking it at the end of this month

so if bootcamps PAT score is tough and I keep score 15's and 16's then do you think I can possibly score higher on the real thing? Ugh I hope so.... I'm gonna try a trial on a different company (dat genius) test one to compare.
lol dat genius is the source of all the hard questions, but their explanation is superb
Test 6-10 used to be dat genius
Try other companies or try 2007/2009 pat and see how you do?
No, I am not saying you'll score higher or lower ( nobody knows the answer for that) but sometimes we need to feel more confident in order to go on.

Last edited:
sounds more like a question than a PSA! :)
PAT doesn't have as much a bearing on acceptance as TS/AA do, so don't fret too much

@Fancy312 OMG YOU'RE ALIVEEEEEEEE!!!!! Focus on TS/AA more than PAT. You shouldn't tank PAT completely but if it's something you struggle with don't kill yourself over it. I got a good amount of interviews with crappy PATs on both of my DATs lol. If anything, RC is the most important non science section. Gl with your DAT!!