Public Service Loan Forgiveness Petition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaySea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is a federal repayment program that pays off your debt after 10 years of IBR payments. There is a new act called: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 and this will reduce the 10 years to 5 years. I'm currently starting my 3rd year as a navy dentist and I still have 175K of debt but I've been paying on it with the IBR and my payments have only been around 400 a month. I lower my AGI via TSP and since I have a wife and 2 kids that helps lower my payment too. I did the HSCP program because I am a prior dental tech and had time in already so I came in as an 03E with 9 years after the 4 years of dental school added 4 years of time to my active duty. So, this being said if you are contemplating HPSP versus HSCP I'd highly recommend you think about your decision carefully because with the PSLFP you can max out your loans as an HSCP person (put money in the bank via loans) and then have them forgiven in 5-10 years. To sign this petition and help lower it to 5 years go to:

http://signon.org/sign/support-the-student-loan.fb1?source=s.fb&r_by=3580410

Members don't see this ad.

Nice idea, but where does the money come from? Many more people would take this route if it was only 5 years. I guess just toss it into our national debt slush fund...:rolleyes:

it comes from my taxes.

you're welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
see my reply to txaggie03

Last edited:
it comes from my taxes.

you're welcome.
Your taxes... are you kidding me? Did you read the bill? Forgiving FEDERAL loans is like paying somebody back with monopoly money. If anything paying back federal loans decreases the debt (bc it earns interest) and does nothing to increase it since it's FEDERAL. Wasting tax payers money is stuff like funding how fast ketchup runs (funded ~ a decade ago) or funding GSA to go to Vegas. This would actually boost the economy and is a much better idea than cutting defense spending.

Last edited:
Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

With less revenue from the students who borrowed the money, the federal government is going to make up for it somehow, either by raising taxes or cutting a service.

No one gets a free lunch.

I'm not a big fan of this give-away. This is way sweeter than the military gig.

Your taxes... are you kidding me? Did you read the bill? Forgiving FEDERAL loans is like paying somebody back with monopoly money. If anything paying back federal loans decreases the debt (bc it earns interest) and does nothing to increase it since it's FEDERAL. Wasting tax payers money is stuff like funding stupid stuff like seeing how fast ketchup runs (funded ~ a decade ago) or funding GSA to go to Vegas. This would actually boost the economy and is a much better idea than cutting defense spending. Politicians and People need to stop being so righteous and politically correct and do what's right and common sense. Too many relgious pious *****s that have zero common sense. Libertarians have the most common sense... government shouldn't run the country (liberals) but neither should the private sector (republicans). It should be some where in the middle

^
Drinking + SDN

So where do you think money comes from?

oh, and I think you nailed it sacapuntas.

Sorry for my rant. The way it doesn't mess with tax payer's money is that the loans are federal to begin with so forgiving federal loans would be just like erasing it. The federal government gave out the loans so if they forgave them it would not cost tax payers any thing. Plus it'll encourage people to give back to under served populations. It should also be a huge economy boost since professionals will have more money to spend on homes, cars, traveling, etc...

Last edited:
Sorry for my rant. The way it doesn't mess with tax payer's money is that the loans are federal to begin with so forgiving federal loans would be just like erasing it. The federal government gave out the loans so if they forgave them it would not cost tax payers any thing. Plus it'll encourage people to give back to under served populations. It should also be a huge economy boost since professionals will have more money to spend on homes, cars, traveling, etc...

It creates deeper national debt, which costs the taxpayers a lot. The dental school took the money, so it was real money. The dentist that no longer pays the loan back is definitely increasing the national debt as the government has less revenue. Whether or not this increase in debt for the country is justified to get dentists to 'under served' populations is a matter of debate.

If we are concerned with access to care and not just getting rid of loan debt, I think addressing issues with payments from medicare would be far more effective. There are already plenty of dentists to serve the under served populations, there just aren't enough dentists willing to work with medicare (understandably so).

I might be wrong. My initial look up regarding this brought me to somebody who is against it but states it won't costs tax payers a scent. Here's the paragraph: "To the uninformed, this bill likely sounds like a win-win. Students get out from under crushing debt. They use the extra money they would have spent on student loan repayment to buy homes and cars and to start businesses. And best of all, it does not cost taxpayers a cent."
Here's the link, it's an interesting read...
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-student-loan-forgiveness-act-2012-11149662.html?cat=9

Members don't see this ad :)

I almost laughed when I read this. This type of mentality is a reason why student debt just surpassed credit card debt in this country. Sacapuntas made a good point. This money is definitely real. The schools use it, and the govt now has less revenue, period. OP, to say this is like "monopoly money" is just insane. Take a few business classes and they may open your eyes to how the economy works. If you want to go to dental school then good for you, but pay your own way and not on the backs of the rest of us. It was your decision to go.

Two wrongs doesn't make a right.

With less revenue from the students who borrowed the money, the federal government is going to make up for it somehow, either by raising taxes or cutting a service.

No one gets a free lunch.

I'm not a big fan of this give-away.

Nice idea, but where does the money come from? I guess just toss it into our national debt slush fund...:rolleyes:

It creates deeper national debt, which costs the taxpayers a lot. The dental school took the money, so it was real money. The dentist that no longer pays the loan back is definitely increasing the national debt as the government has less revenue. Whether or not this increase in debt for the country is justified to get dentists to 'under served' populations is a matter of debate.

If we are concerned with access to care and not just getting rid of loan debt, I think addressing issues with payments from medicare would be far more effective. There are already plenty of dentists to serve the under served populations, there just aren't enough dentists willing to work with medicare (understandably so).

I might be wrong. My initial look up regarding this brought me to somebody who is against it but states it won't costs tax payers a scent. Here's the paragraph: "To the uninformed, this bill likely sounds like a win-win. Students get out from under crushing debt. They use the extra money they would have spent on student loan repayment to buy homes and cars and to start businesses. And best of all, it does not cost taxpayers a cent."
Here's the link, it's an interesting read...
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-student-loan-forgiveness-act-2012-11149662.html?cat=9

Like the author of the article the says, this bill won't fix the problem, and will actually be counter-productive. As the other posters have pointed out, the money has to come from somewhere. It's true that the bill would largely be paid for be the savings from the Iraq/Afghanistan drawn-down, but the problem is that money isn't ours. It was borrowed from other countries. If we had the spare cash to loan out to students, that would be fine, but we don't. We, as a nation, are in debt up to our necks. We are borrowing like there is no tomorrow. Frankly, the government has bigger problems.

Though I loathe the paternal relationship some people assign to the government, it would be like, if you've maxed out your credit cards (on top of your high-interest mortages on your huge dream house and multiple vacation homes) and your spoiled 18 year-old daughter expects you to loan her money. Sure she'll pay you back some, but after a while you forgive her debt because you're her parent and, apparently, you're supposed to take care of her forever. It's no problem. Everyone knows mom and dad always have money. Besides, you can just make minimum payments for now, you'll pay off your debts some day. It will all work somehow...

The government is broke and it's only getting worse. The more they keep spending (on "good" programs like student loan forgiveness, medicare, medicaid, etc.), the deeper into debt we go, while the interest continues to rack up. The government , like our hypothetical mom and dad (which they are emphatically not), needs pay off their own debts, before they consider bailing us out (though I'm still not sure what entitles us to a bail-out in the first place). We need to get our debt under control, or we are going to have serious problems down the road. Something's gotta give.

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited:
{quote]The federal government gave out the loans so if they forgave them it would not cost tax payers any thing.[/quote]

Surely you are not actually saying/thinking in this manner!! But, looking around the idiots in this country, I know the truth deep down.

Let's step aside for a moment and forget where the loans originated from (even though it is the biggest piece to this puzzle).

You attended school. You owed the school money. Someone paid the school on your behalf. That money was used by the school to cover overhead, employee salary, etc. That money was spent the day it was transferred in to the the schools bank account. Since that money was payed on your behalf, you are responsible for the hole where that money came from. So it doesnt matter who originated the loan, the money is, and continues to be, very real.

Now, lets come back to the part where we selectively forgot where the money came from. That money was paid on your behalf by the entity we call the federal govt.

EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR THE FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS, SPENDS, WAS COLLECTED FROM THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER. I cannot stress that enough because there seems to be so many people who dont understand that.

Now, it has become even worse: the government is spending more money than it collects, and thus we've created what everyone refers to as the "national debt." And like traditional debt, that debt is ridden with interest that is continually compounding.

So dont sit there and tell me that it isnt my money that is being 'forgiven'. Or that it isnt real money because it came from the federal govt. Grow up and get a damned clue.

I really hope your are trolling, but again, I fear you are not.

OP, you're wrong.

Also, don't post the same thread here and in the military dentistry. Can we get a mod to merge?

{quote]The federal government gave out the loans so if they forgave them it would not cost tax payers any thing.

Surely you are not actually saying/thinking in this manner!! But, looking around the idiots in this country, I know the truth deep down.

Let's step aside for a moment and forget where the loans originated from (even though it is the biggest piece to this puzzle).

You attended school. You owed the school money. Someone paid the school on your behalf. That money was used by the school to cover overhead, employee salary, etc. That money was spent the day it was transferred in to the the schools bank account. Since that money was payed on your behalf, you are responsible for the hole where that money came from. So it doesnt matter who originated the loan, the money is, and continues to be, very real.

Now, lets come back to the part where we selectively forgot where the money came from. That money was paid on your behalf by the entity we call the federal govt.

EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR THE FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS, SPENDS, WAS COLLECTED FROM THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER. I cannot stress that enough because there seems to be so many people who dont understand that.

Now, it has become even worse: the government is spending more money than it collects, and thus we've created what everyone refers to as the "national debt." And like traditional debt, that debt is ridden with interest that is continually compounding.

So dont sit there and tell me that it isnt my money that is being 'forgiven'. Or that it isnt real money because it came from the federal govt. Grow up and get a damned clue.

I really hope your are trolling, but again, I fear you are not.

Get over yourself. Everyone pays taxes to support programs that they might not agree with. Heard of the Wall Street bailouts?

Get over yourself. Everyone pays taxes to support programs that they might not agree with. Heard of the Wall Street bailouts?

How did you do on Reading Comprehension?

What? Here is your post's logic:

Get over yourself. Everyone lives in a society with laws that they might not agree with. Heard of murder and rape?

;

Last edited:
For the love of god, man. Do some reading on macroeconomics! lol.

And TX. The "I'm a tax-payer" thing gets a little old. We all are tax payers.

Get over yourself. Everyone lives in a society with laws that they might not agree with. Heard of murder and rape?

MaxillofacialMN, I don't understand your logic at all. thewingman gave an example of the government using taxpayers money in a very controversial manner, similar to the topic at hand. You gave an example of universally accepted crimes. What am I missing?

To all the haters,

I honestly could care less were the f-ing money comes from. Why are there so many righteous people that care about tax money? I care about not WASTING tax payers money. As long as a program boost the economy and helps underserved populations than the tax money is being well served. Maybe thinking about your own personal finances and not some magical pot of tax money than you'd understand the enormity of this. There's tax payer money going to planned parenthood and other things people don't agree with. Righteousness gets old. If you are against tax payers money going towards positive programs then maybe you should open a practice and accept only medicaid patient's. This way your righteousness will actually be meaningful.

To the few people that see the benefits, please sign the petition.

MaxillofacialMN, I don't understand your logic at all. thewingman gave an example of the government using taxpayers money in a very controversial manner, similar to the topic at hand. You gave an example of universally accepted crimes. What am I missing?

Murderers and rapists disagree with you, probably. My point is, just because it's controversial and not everyone is on your side doesn't mean you should shy away from your beliefs. If you went through life believing in a cause but you knew some others disagreed with you, and you backed down because of it, I would call you a coward.

And OP, my disgust for this program is not out of righteousness or some other altruistic ideal. My beef with this law is that it will only RAISE tuition prices even more, creating an even larger problem. People need to become responsible for their education and careers. Most people on SDN don't have to worry about this as we are all are/becoming doctors, but to the girl that paid >50k a year to get a degree in sociology... I'm sorry, but I refuse to have my taxpayer money pay for your stupid economic choice. Why didn't I go to that super expensive private school if I would have known that the government would just pay for me?!? Because that idea is fundamentally flawed.

Also I disagree money should go to planned parenthood. And most social programs for that matter.....

To all the haters,

I honestly could care less were the f-ing money comes from. Why are there so many righteous people that care about tax money? I care about not WASTING tax payers money. As long as a program boost the economy and helps underserved populations than the tax money is being well served. Maybe thinking about your own personal finances and not some magical pot of tax money than you'd understand the enormity of this. There's tax payer money going to planned parenthood and other things people don't agree with. Righteousness gets old. If you are against tax payers money going towards positive programs then maybe you should open a practice and accept only medicaid patient's. This way your righteousness will actually be meaningful.

To the few people that see the benefits, please sign the petition.

To me the question is whether or not this is the best way to spend money to reach the under served populations. I see this as an easier way out of enormous debt that will make people work in public health without passion for public health. I also see this as another reason for schools to continue to charge increasing tuition, as people will see this as a way out of the debt burden.

Mostly, I see making medicare more attractive for dentists to work with as more of a lasting solution. This would allow dentists with a heart for under served to work in one of these communities for their entire career instead of 5 years.

I can see why you think this is a good idea, especially as it would benefit you so much personally. I just think there are better ways to serve the underserved in a more permanent manner.

For the love of god, man. Do some reading on macroeconomics! lol.

And TX. The "I'm a tax-payer" thing gets a little old. We all are tax payers.
I agree with you about the "tax payer thing getting old". I also already stated I misread a blog online and thought this would not affect tax payers money. As far as reading about macro-economics, are you kidding me? My life is more exciting than reading something that dry. I'm 32 and if this program is approved (cutting my ibr payments to 3 years instead of 8) I'll be a self made millionaire 5 years sooner. Plus I'm only 9 years away from a 3 million dollar pension and an opportunity to open a practice with a pension at the age of 41. Macro economics isn't for me because I'm a dentist not an economist. However personal finances are my forte and I'm an expert at that.

I agree with you about the "tax payer thing getting old". I also already stated I misread a blog online and thought this would not affect tax payers money. As far as reading about macro-economics, are you kidding me? My life is more exciting than reading something that dry. I'm 32 and if this program is approved (cutting my ibr payments to 3 years instead of 8) I'll be a self made millionaire 5 years sooner. Plus I'm only 9 years away from a 3 million dollar pension and an opportunity to open a practice with a pension at the age of 41. Macro economics isn't for me because I'm a dentist not an economist. However personal finances are my forte and I'm an expert at that.

All of your responses seem to provide further evidence you only want this program to pass for selfish reasons, not to increase access to care for the under served.

All of your responses seem to provide further evidence you only want this program to pass for selfish reasons, not to increase access to care for the under served.
Nope, I want it for both reasons. I've been doing community service ever since I enlisted as an E1 in 1999. I continue to go to a care clinic twice a month for a total of 6 hours a month giving free dentistry to underserved populations here in Virginia and I've always been like this. I was giving back to my country while doing my undergrad simultaneously. How many people can say that, a few but not many. Maybe you should've went into politics or law school?

Lol this thread is ridiculous. OP, I hope you're trolling us. Haha

Nope, I want it for both reasons. I've been doing community service ever since I enlisted as an E1 in 1999. I continue to go to a care clinic twice a month for a total of 6 hours a month giving free dentistry to underserved populations here in Virginia and I've always been like this. I was giving back to my country while doing my undergrad simultaneously. How many people can say that, a few but not many. Maybe you should've went into politics or law school?

Very noble of you. In that case, you shouldn't mind helping for another 8 years, instead of asking for a government bailout after 3 years.

I plan on doing 9 more years to get unbelievable pension. I'd just rather not be paying 5 additional years. I don't make these programs, I just take advantage of them and I'm sure you would too.

I agree about irresponsible student loans; however my 4 years of tuition (living expences not included) for a state dental school was 175K!!! I only borrowed for tuition; therefore due to the ridiculous amounts schools are charging, this would help offset that. Sorry about being passionate and mean. I just think our tuition is ridiculous

You all know that if you had 'tuition only' debt of 175K and a program like this was there, that you'd take advantage of it. I only took out direct loans to pay for tuition and never considered private loans (private loans are not sponsored by pslfp). I used my E7 pay via the navy's hscp for me and my family's living expences. Therefore there are a lot of very responsible people like myself that are getting too much debt for higher education. This is the main reason PSLFP doesn't allow people to consolidate private student loans into the program. Nobody can dispute this point and I win

Like the author of the article the says, this bill won't fix the problem, and will actually be counter-productive. As the other posters have pointed out, the money has to come from somewhere. It's true that the bill would largely be paid for be the savings from the Iraq/Afghanistan drawn-down, but the problem is that money isn't ours. It was borrowed from other countries. If we had the spare cash to loan out to students, that would be fine, but we don't. We, as a nation, are in debt up to our necks. We are borrowing like there is no tomorrow. Frankly, the government has bigger problems.

Though I loathe the paternal relationship some people assign to the government, it would be like, if you've maxed out your credit cards (on top of your high-interest mortages on your huge dream house and multiple vacation homes) and your spoiled 18 year-old daughter expects you to loan her money. Sure she'll pay you back some, but after a while you forgive her debt because you're her parent and, apparently, you're supposed to take care of her forever. It's no problem. Everyone knows mom and dad always have money. Besides, you can just make minimum payments for now, you'll pay off your debts some day. It will all work somehow...

The government is broke and it's only getting worse. The more they keep spending (on "good" programs like student loan forgiveness, medicare, medicaid, etc.), the deeper into debt we go, while the interest continues to rack up. The government , like our hypothetical mom and dad (which they are emphatically not), needs pay off their own debts, before they consider bailing us out (though I'm still not sure what entitles us to a bail-out in the first place). We need to get our debt under control, or we are going to have serious problems down the road. Something's gotta give.

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Seriously, read the PSLFP and get over youself. It only forgives responsible loans for higher education costs. It's nothing like maxing out your credit cards because I only borrowed for 4 years of tuition and funded my own health care and living expences via navy collegiate program. You CANNOT consolidate private student loans into this program; only direct loans.

Next point you f-ing hippocrits posting against this great news... Are you doing a navy scholarship? Where the F do you think that money is coming from??? Navy HPSP pays tuition, a stipend, and a 20 K bonus.... how is this different than responsible tuition based loans. You all make great politicians bc of your hipocrisy so F off and get a clue.

Last edited:
Seriously, read the PSLFP and get over youself. It only forgives responsible loans for higher education costs. It's nothing like maxing out your credit cards because I only borrowed for 4 years of tuition and funded my own health care and living expences via navy collegiate program. You CANNOT consolidate private student loans into this program; only direct loans. Get a f-ing clue

Your lack of maturity is astounding...it makes me think you are a troll but I honestly can't tell.

Your lack of maturity is astounding...it makes me think you are a troll but I honestly can't tell.

Next point you... Are you doing a navy scholarship? Where the F do you think that money is coming from??? Navy HPSP pays tuition, a stipend, and a 20 K bonus.... how is this different than responsible tuition based loans. You make great politicians bc of your hipocrisy so F off and get a clue.That's what I thought so suck it hippocrit

why are you so pissed off about this program
cuz you're committed to military/HRSA or what??

all the top 5% producers / grossing over a mil / netting over half a mil got to consolidate their loans... below 3%. The program has been stopped just 3 years ago.
I bet not many people know about this because every dentist doing that probably kept it low.

Who do you think paid the difference?
Even we paid for that while taking ****ty crappy minimum wage jobs.

don't hate the players, hate the game

Last edited:
Next point you... Are you doing a navy scholarship? Where the F do you think that money is coming from??? Navy HPSP pays tuition, a stipend, and a 20 K bonus.... how is this different than responsible tuition based loans. You make great politicians bc of your hipocrisy so F off and get a clue.That's what I thought so suck it hippocrit

You serve your country and work for the Navy. It's different than getting your loans paid for.

Better make your last posts on SDN memorable, someone's bound to drop a ban hammer on you soon.

Seriously, read the PSLFP and get over youself. It only forgives responsible loans for higher education costs. It's nothing like maxing out your credit cards because I only borrowed for 4 years of tuition and funded my own health care and living expences via navy collegiate program. You CANNOT consolidate private student loans into this program; only direct loans.

Next point you f-ing hippocrits posting against this great news... Are you doing a navy scholarship? Where the F do you think that money is coming from??? Navy HPSP pays tuition, a stipend, and a 20 K bonus.... how is this different than responsible tuition based loans. You all make great politicians bc of your hipocrisy so F off and get a clue.

Just because you missed the analogy doesn't mean you need to get pissy.

And, for your information, I am not on the scholarship. I enlisted three weeks after 9/11 and I've been in ever since. I just got got back from Afghanistan in December (my third trip to the sand box). I will take on some debt to pay for dental school, but I am going to pay back every cent of MY debt. So, don't call me a hypocrite. You don't know me.

That said, I think we all need to cool it and try to be a little more civil. :) I'm ok with PSLF. I see it as an incentive program, just like HPSP, bonuses, GI Bill, etc., designed to encourage service where it is need. While this may not always be perfect (what program is?), I think we can all agree it's not a hand out; you have to provide a needed service in a critical area to qualify. In other words, you earn it. IBR is what really chafes me, something for nothing.

P.S. JaySea, thank you for your service.

When you were young, did you mother drop you on your head... repeatedly?

True, I love all the opinions! Yr all so cute like you know something! Do any of u watch 60 mins! The big companies, banks, and government use u! U are just CONSUMERS! Why is America fat? Why is cancer so high! No one cares ant u, the government waste money y the &$)(would I care if they pay the loans! They should give back to us! Do you know y Facebook shareholders got ripped off? Or why the crash of 29 happened if u cant answer these questions u have no opinion! Each of u struggles to better yr self u should get help hasidic jews get paid to read a book for life( fact not racist) welfare they promote father less children! Y are we in afghanistan? Bc we want to help lol! For security lol if we left the Arab world alone , fact there would have been no 9/11! They said that! I could go on and on with facts bring it! U might like it but who likes the truth? It hurts lol! Warning don't argue with me if yr sensitive u might get yr feelings hurt!

Here's the kicker for all the opinionated, soldiers etc Facebook has done way more good in the Arab world then our wars lmao!

True, I love all the opinions! Yr all so cute like you know something! Do any of u watch 60 mins! The big companies, banks, and government use u! U are just CONSUMERS! Why is America fat? Why is cancer so high! No one cares ant u, the government waste money y the &$)(would I care if they pay the loans! They should give back to us! Do you know y Facebook shareholders got ripped off? Or why the crash of 29 happened if u cant answer these questions u have no opinion! Each of u struggles to better yr self u should get help hasidic jews get paid to read a book for life( fact not racist) welfare they promote father less children! Y are we in afghanistan? Bc we want to help lol! For security lol if we left the Arab world alone , fact there would have been no 9/11! They said that! I could go on and on with facts bring it! U might like it but who likes the truth? It hurts lol! Warning don't argue with me if yr sensitive u might get yr feelings hurt!

:wtf:

1efb368b7d389cbaaa4fb2fca98cd48e

Holy Moly people... I have a bag full of chill pills that I am going leave riiiiight here:

chill_pill.preview.jpg

PS (in before the lock!!)