Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Eligible Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmcner

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the PSLF program and I was hoping to get a list of dentistry related jobs that could qualify for this program and an idea of the salaries for these different jobs. I will update the list as more posts come in to keep the information all in one spot.

Jobs that qualify are any job working for the local, federal, or state government as well as working for any non-profit 501(c)(3) group and select other non profit groups including those that provide education and public health.

Jobs
Dental Professor
Prison Dentist

Members don't see this ad.

This second post is designed so I avoid cluttering the first post.
The PSLF program is a program that states that if you work in public service for 10 years while making 120 monthly payments all the rest of your loans will forgiven tax free. The repayment methods that are valid for the 120 months of repayment are the Income Based Repayment plan (IBR), Income Contingent Payment Plan (ICR) and the 10 year repayment plan, which really doesn't make sense in this situation, but it is an option. All federal loans will be forgiven after 10 years from the Stafford and Plus loan programs, but not Perkins.

I have a question on this topic as well…wanted to bring this board back to life (unless there is another board addressing this topic).

Long story Short (PM for details) - I will graduate with A LOT of student loans (way more than anyone else) double what most private schools charge nowadays…so I am strongly considering PSLF (public service loan forgiveness). Here are my questions:

1. Would residency Count as 1-2 years for IBR and PSLF - From my research some do some don't..what do I need to look for the 401C organization?
2. After a residency of low pay and small loan repayments I hope to continue that with a hospital, clinic, or emergency hospital dental job or VA job - however, I can't seem to find all that much info on these programs. Does anyone know of any hospital dentistry jobs that would work for the 10 year PSLF tax -free forgiveness program. I haven't seen or heard of many dentists working in hospitals or how to land a job like that but I know there must be dentists in hospitals and I am definitely interested if someone can shed some light on this topic. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link^ It looks helpful I'll see what they say!