1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Speaking for Med School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ebaydan777, May 2, 2007.

1. ebaydan777

2+ Year Member

so a buddy of mine tried to tell me that public speaking is required by medical schools now? currently im just taking human communications 100 which is pretty much the basics of communications, and all my biology advisors told me this should cover that GE just fine, but im not so sure now?

the only thing ive seen that is mandatory that popped up a couple years back is statistics other than that never heard of public speaking, does anyone know?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emaj1n

emaj1n M1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I haven't heard of such a requirement. To be safe, check with the schools you think you are most likely to apply to (i.e., in-state schools). If their websites list this requirement, shoot them a quick email. Also, your pre-med advisor would probably be the best one to consult about pre-med prereqs.

Shoot me an email or PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

4. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

Never heard that before. It would be useful, especially if you are a naturally shy person or have little experience with public speaking (you will find yourself speaking in front of groups very regularly). But requirement? Check to be sure, but I don't think your friend knows what he's talking about.

5. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Think your buddy was joking ...

But its not a "class required" but you betcha bottom dollar that you are going to need to know how to public speak in med school ...

6. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. I applied to just under 1 out of 3 allopathic medical schools and not one required it.

7. nuck

10+ Year Member

It can't hurt but it's probably not required...