Publication being presented as poster at convention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I find a way to make up the potential quiz/miss class and go present?

• Go

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't go

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have a question on what I can/should do here:

I'm first author on a publication in a peer-reviewed journal with 7 total authors. We submitted a poster presentation to APA 2016 and it was accepted. The 2nd author will definitely be there with or without me to present. I was initially planning to attend/present (and I want to), but my school has required attendance and potentially a quiz or two on the day I would have to leave to be able to be there in time to present (also limited on when I can go due to flight availability/costs).

I have a small budget to be able to go, and flights are already approaching the upper limit/will only go up in price, and it would likely be at least another month before the schedule is finalized for me to even be able to request an excused absence to attend/present.

Would anyone recommend going or not?

Another question regarding listing on CV for clarification:
a) Say I do go and present, would I also list this as a presentation, or would I not even mention is as a presentation since it is also published, which holds more weight?

b) Say I do NOT go and present - since my name is on the poster, would this be listed as a presentation or abstract with maybe a note that the 2nd author was the one who was actually presenting, or would I completely omit this?

*Please note (in case it matters), all authors are listed on the poster being presented in the same order as the publication.

I don't want to pad my CV and believe I already know the answer. Also, I'm already leery about having the same title listed twice anyway, especially when the publication holds more weight and will surely be listed. Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the paper.

I wouldn't recommend going to the conference if it would possibly be detrimental to your academic performance. If you think it's no big deal to get an excused absence, then go for it!

a) If you go, by all means list it as a presentation -- that's what it is. Yes, it's also published, which is great, but the presentation section of your CV demonstrates presentations and not peer-reviewed work per se. So it's demonstrating a different skill set to people who see your CV.

b) You want to be careful not to be misrepresenting what it is. I would say that it's okay as long as you're transparent. For example, much like you suggest, perhaps bold or italicize the second author with a footnote stating that the presenter is in bold/italics. If you have a lot of other items on your CV you could just omit it, but in this day and age it is certainly good to at least keep track of where and when your work is presented.

Those are my thoughts -- others may disagree. But, I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on the paper.

I wouldn't recommend going to the conference if it would possibly be detrimental to your academic performance. If you think it's no big deal to get an excused absence, then go for it!

a) If you go, by all means list it as a presentation -- that's what it is. Yes, it's also published, which is great, but the presentation section of your CV demonstrates presentations and not peer-reviewed work per se. So it's demonstrating a different skill set to people who see your CV.

b) You want to be careful not to be misrepresenting what it is. I would say that it's okay as long as you're transparent. For example, much like you suggest, perhaps bold or italicize the second author with a footnote stating that the presenter is in bold/italics. If you have a lot of other items on your CV you could just omit it, but in this day and age it is certainly good to at least keep track of where and when your work is presented.

Those are my thoughts -- others may disagree. But, I hope that helps!

That helps immensely. I know down the line, it will matter less if I publish/present more, but at this current moment, I only have one pub and one presentation (this presentation was also the same poster, but at a much smaller event). This would be the second presentation, and I would probably omit the other presentation if I go to this one.

I don't think missing one day will necessarily hinder my performance, rather I would just like to make up the quiz or take it 1 day early to be able to go. The admin doesn't like the idea much but say its up to the professors who are adjusting the schedule, so we will see.

Thanks again for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
A poster is not the same as a presentation (usually a lecture style talk) and should not be listed as such. You can have a section in your cv for posters and that's where this goes whether or not you attend the conference. In this case it is OK to list the same work twice - as a poster and publication. Sounds like attending this conference would be a huge burden and since a coauthor will already be there and is willing to present you can safely skip it. If asked about it it's appropriate to say you had academic obligations that you couldn't reschedule.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You should have a section for publications and conferences. You can even cite you conference presentations provided the abstract is on an indexed journal.

Go, the memories and experience from this type of stuff is more memorable and influential on your career than a silly quiz. Find a way to skip the quiz, your school has to have a policy for this type of situation since sending students conferences does nothing but look good for that school.

Go, the memories and experience from this type of stuff is more memorable and influential on your career than a silly quiz. Find a way to skip the quiz, your school has to have a policy for this type of situation since sending students conferences does nothing but look good for that school.

While that's how it should be, we are getting a new professor who is the one I need the permission from, which I can't do yet. And as said above, my school has required attendance, so I can't just skip. That IS the policy unfortunately.

While it may be true that they like to send the students out for things like that, I didn't do my research at my school - I have another affiliation, so they're name is not on it since it didn't touch their IRB or anything, which could play into why I'm getting a hard time from them.

Again, only that one professor can say yes or no, but I haven't met them yet and the closer to the presentstion it gets, the more expensive the tickets are to fly there, unfortunately.

While that's how it should be, we are getting a new professor who is the one I need the permission from, which I can't do yet. And as said above, my school has required attendance, so I can't just skip. That IS the policy unfortunately.

While it may be true that they like to send the students out for things like that, I didn't do my research at my school - I have another affiliation, so they're name is not on it since it didn't touch their IRB or anything, which could play into why I'm getting a hard time from them.

Again, only that one professor can say yes or no, but I haven't met them yet and the closer to the presentstion it gets, the more expensive the tickets are to fly there, unfortunately.

The schools usually have policies in place that state exceptions for mandatory attendance. Some schools will excuse you if you have a research presentation to do. However, in the end, it will come down to whether the professor allows for this absence.