Publication Dilema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thompa

Terminus Est
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love some feedback on my situation here. I've been working as an organic chemist doing pharmaceutical R&D for the last year+. I don't currently have any publications. However, I've got one pending with Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. We've written the paper, I'm first author, and we've submitted it...but they just haven't accepted it yet. I'm sure it'll go through a few rounds of revisions before they accept, but I'm afraid that may take a long time and I would really like to have a publication that I can point to. What do you guys think, just tell the schools that I have an accepted pub, tell them it's pending but as of yet unaccepted, or do nothing and hope they accept it while I'm still under consideration at the schools I've applied to? I've done a lot of research, and there will be several papers coming out with my name on them...I just don't know if it'll happen before February/March. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would love some feedback on my situation here. I've been working as an organic chemist doing pharmaceutical R&D for the last year+. I don't currently have any publications. However, I've got one pending with Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. We've written the paper, I'm first author, and we've submitted it...but they just haven't accepted it yet. I'm sure it'll go through a few rounds of revisions before they accept, but I'm afraid that may take a long time and I would really like to have a publication that I can point to. What do you guys think, just tell the schools that I have an accepted pub, tell them it's pending but as of yet unaccepted, or do nothing and hope they accept it while I'm still under consideration at the schools I've applied to? I've done a lot of research, and there will be several papers coming out with my name on them...I just don't know if it'll happen before February/March. Thoughts?
I think you could say you've submitted a paper for publication as primary author. That's pretty impressive in and of itself. I wouldn't say you're published just yet, as you may be asked about it in an interview. "Oh, I see here you're published. What journal and date, so I can look it up?"

"I submitted my manuscript (I was the first author), and it is currently under review by [journal]"

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah wouldnt say you've had it accepted as that would be dishonest. Just tell them its submitted.

You'll be in a good position in the Spring to send an "up-date" at schools where you are on the waitlist.

At this point, only mention it as submitted...

Trust me, you don't want to tell them it is accepted. Besides the fact that it is completely dishonest, I just had a paper accepted and it was available online as the unedited proof e-pub within 2 days, so don't be certain they wouldn't go looking for it. It really isn't the end all be all to have it already accepted, not one of my interviewers seemed the least bit interested in talking about my papers or research. They probably just noted in passing that I had done some research and moved on to whatever they cared about.

Include it in your publication list, just write the citation like you normally would but instead of the date and volume, write submitted.
e.g.,
Thompa, et al. My Great Paper. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, Submitted.

People do this, I have seen it on CVs and websites many times.

Then, if you are on wait list in the spring or are just following up to say how interested you are, you can include a copy of the actual publication, which will look great and make your contact more substantive.