Publication for General Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I just found out that the research project I have been working on this summer is going to be published and I will likely be second author. Does this help at all if I choose to apply to general surgery? I have read previous forums that almost give the idea that only first author matters. I am not really interested in academic surgery. I do not really enjoy research but am willing to do it throughout medical school to put on my application. There are a few community residencies near where I live that would probably be my first choice over academic, not sure if this changes anything. Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Is first author better, yeah. Will it help if you apply gen surgery, absolutely.

Reactions: 1 users
What forums made you believe first author pubs are the only ones that count?.....

Yes it will help you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What forums made you believe first author pubs are the only ones that count?.....

Yes it will help you.

Yes it will help you.
Okay thanks. they were just previous discussion here in sdn. I was reading things like second author is “crappy.” And therefore wasn’t sure if that’s something the majority of applicants will have or if it truly can help you stand out.

I was reading things like second author is “crappy.”
Probably pre-med SDN honestly lol

Yeah that sounds like a pre-med thing to say, because I don't know a single published person (or anyone actively involved in academia/research) who would say that.

Does the first author get more credit? Yes, because it is their paper, but that in no way makes the rest of the authors "crappy."

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. So I just found out that the research project I have been working on this summer is going to be published and I will likely be second author. Does this help at all if I choose to apply to general surgery? I have read previous forums that almost give the idea that only first author matters. I am not really interested in academic surgery. I do not really enjoy research but am willing to do it throughout medical school to put on my application. There are a few community residencies near where I live that would probably be my first choice over academic, not sure if this changes anything. Let me know what you think!

First author matters if you were going to some academic heavy surgery program and wanted to do mainly research. I think CU has a 7 year gen surg track where 2 of those years are essentially devoted to research so in that case sure being first author is good.

Beyond that take what you can get, and be ready to talk about it PRN on the interview trail.

Reactions: 1 user