Publication in Undergraduate Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogoplata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a publication about my research on quorum sensing in an undergraduate journal (Journal of Science and Technology). Does that count as a publication? My premed adviser said it does, but I wanted to check on SDN to get some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have such a publication, but it is my University's undergraduate journal. In general it is less amazing than a major journal publication, but it still counts as a pub: you put in the time to do the research, you wrote the manuscript, and *someone else* thought it was publication quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! I've seen in other threads that getting published in an undergraduate-anything is completely useless. I thought that was a little unfair, so I'm glad to see others feel that it matters.

Does it matter what section of the journal or what the format of the article is? I submitted my article (and they told me it was accepted) in a Spotlight section. It summarizes the research taking place in my lab, then incorporates my research and findings, so the format is a little different from a typical research paper. It doesn't go into as much detail...the format is kinda like what you'd find in a News & Views section of a journal or in a Science section of a magazine/newspaper, rather than just a straight-up article.

I'm a bit confused because when the journal solicited for submissions they said we could if we "wanted [our] research published" and then they asked us to write our articles in this format...

So can I still say my research has been published (in an undergraduate journal)? Like is anyone going to look up my article and read it and be like, "Ok, no, you weren't really published. Minus ten bonus points for stretching the truth."

If the latter is the case, how would I rephrase this in my application/interview so it's more accurate?

So can I still say my research has been published (in an undergraduate journal)? Like is anyone going to look up my article and read it and be like, "Ok, no, you weren't really published. Minus ten bonus points for stretching the truth."

If the latter is the case, how would I rephrase this in my application/interview so it's more accurate?

It was my understanding that you would have to provide the type of journal it was published in when you applied.