"Publication"= Manuscript Publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetsFan96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how do publications exactly work? I'm joining a lab in which the PI notified me that by spending about a year on the project, I might be able to get published on a manuscript. Is this what Med schools look for, or are the "publications" everyone talks about have to do with properly, completed and finished research experiments?

Members don't see this ad.

Your PI is saying that if you do a sufficient amount of work, he/she will put you as an author (depending how many people are on it, likely 4th+). Being an author on a manuscript only means something if it's published, though, or at least accepted by the time you apply (some schools might even care about in submission entries). So if you're the 6th author, no one will care until the manuscript has been completed, submitted and accepted. Until then all you have is research experience.

So how do publications exactly work? I'm joining a lab in which the PI notified me that by spending about a year on the project, I might be able to get published on a manuscript. Is this what Med schools look for, or are the "publications" everyone talks about have to do with properly, completed and finished research experiments?
Having a publication means that you are on the list of co-authors in a manuscript that is accepted to a peer-reviewed journal. This can be original research, systematic reviews, case studies, or op-ed pieces. Being part of posters and/or oral presentations (rare) to major national conferences would also help signal that you contributed significantly to a project.

A word of advice though: never bank on any promises made by PIs regarding future publications -- many projects end up going nowhere or are repeatedly delayed. Only join the lab if you are truly passionate about the work and are okay with coming out with no publications! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
or are the "publications" everyone talks about have to do with properly, completed and finished research experiments?

Well, publications result from properly conducted, finished, experiments. Edit: Ah I see, you meant other types of publications (reviews, etc).

Moko said:
A word of advice though: never bank on any promises made by PIs regarding future publications -- many projects end up not coming to fruition or are faced with significant delays. Only join the lab if you are truly interested in the work and can talk passionately about it even if you come out with no publications! Good luck!
Completely agree. Your PI might be a stand-up guy who is really sincere about getting you a pub, but science is unpredictable and publications are never a sure thing.

Medical schools look to research as a way of broadening your critical thinking skills and learning the scientific method. Publications resulting from research are just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Having a publication means that you are on the list of co-authors in a manuscript that is accepted to a peer-reviewed journal. This can be original research, systematic reviews, case studies, or op-ed pieces. Being part of posters and/or oral presentations (rare) to major national conferences would also help signal that you contributed significantly to a project.

A word of advice though: never bank on any promises made by PIs regarding future publications -- many projects end up going nowhere or are repeatedly delayed. Only join the lab if you are truly passionate about the work and are okay with coming out with no publications! Good luck!

So what exactly would a student do for a case study, just out of curiosity?