Publication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all you research dudes, here's my quandry. I was updating my resume last night (yeah, i'm cool: friday night tweaking my resume), and i have a question about how to list publications. I published 3 abstracts last year (studies A, B, and C). Then this year, I published the entire manuscripts for the same studies (A, B, and C). Do I still list the abstracts as publications? Do I have 3 publications or 6? I don't have much experience with this type of stuff, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean published abstracts? At presentations at conferences? Where did you "publish" abstracts?

My abstracts were presented at the Society of Nuclear Medicine's annual conference. All abstracts presented at the conference are published in a supplement to the Journal of Nuclear Medicine's June issue (like a big book of abstracts that comes with it).

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you can list your abstracts as separate publications in addition to your full articles.

You definitely can list those as presentations, then. If you know the details you can write what conference and the date(s) it went on. I don't know if they could be listed as abstracts though. I'm not sure. But I had one conference talk that I did and I was an author of another presentation (not given by me) at a conference. I listed both as conference presentations. Hope this helps.

List the papers and abstracts separately. The abstracts should have a notation that names the conference since abstracts technically aren't really considered publications.

Technically abstracts are considered publications according to my PI, but realistically, it's just an abstact. :p

oftentimes all of the abstracts at a particular meeting get published together as a supplement to a journal. if that's the case, you will be able to reference the abstract just as you would a manuscript. regardless, i would list abstracts and manuscript publications seperately.