1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Publication question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Barton, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey all you research dudes, here's my quandry. I was updating my resume last night (yeah, i'm cool: friday night tweaking my resume), and i have a question about how to list publications. I published 3 abstracts last year (studies A, B, and C). Then this year, I published the entire manuscripts for the same studies (A, B, and C). Do I still list the abstracts as publications? Do I have 3 publications or 6? I don't have much experience with this type of stuff, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What do you mean published abstracts? At presentations at conferences? Where did you "publish" abstracts?

4. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My abstracts were presented at the Society of Nuclear Medicine's annual conference. All abstracts presented at the conference are published in a supplement to the Journal of Nuclear Medicine's June issue (like a big book of abstracts that comes with it).

5. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think you can list your abstracts as separate publications in addition to your full articles.

6. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid

Attending Physician
    You definitely can list those as presentations, then. If you know the details you can write what conference and the date(s) it went on. I don't know if they could be listed as abstracts though. I'm not sure. But I had one conference talk that I did and I was an author of another presentation (not given by me) at a conference. I listed both as conference presentations. Hope this helps.

7. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith

Attending Physician
    List the papers and abstracts separately. The abstracts should have a notation that names the conference since abstracts technically aren't really considered publications.

8. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

Technically abstracts are considered publications according to my PI, but realistically, it's just an abstact. :p

9. ssd

ssd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oftentimes all of the abstracts at a particular meeting get published together as a supplement to a journal. if that's the case, you will be able to reference the abstract just as you would a manuscript. regardless, i would list abstracts and manuscript publications seperately.