SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Publication question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Barton, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Barton

Barton Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey all you research dudes, here's my quandry. I was updating my resume last night (yeah, i'm cool: friday night tweaking my resume), and i have a question about how to list publications. I published 3 abstracts last year (studies A, B, and C). Then this year, I published the entire manuscripts for the same studies (A, B, and C). Do I still list the abstracts as publications? Do I have 3 publications or 6? I don't have much experience with this type of stuff, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2000
    New York, NY
    What do you mean published abstracts? At presentations at conferences? Where did you "publish" abstracts?

4. Barton

Barton Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    My abstracts were presented at the Society of Nuclear Medicine's annual conference. All abstracts presented at the conference are published in a supplement to the Journal of Nuclear Medicine's June issue (like a big book of abstracts that comes with it).

5. vyc

vyc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Chicago
    i think you can list your abstracts as separate publications in addition to your full articles.

6. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2000
    New York, NY
    You definitely can list those as presentations, then. If you know the details you can write what conference and the date(s) it went on. I don't know if they could be listed as abstracts though. I'm not sure. But I had one conference talk that I did and I was an author of another presentation (not given by me) at a conference. I listed both as conference presentations. Hope this helps.

7. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2001
    List the papers and abstracts separately. The abstracts should have a notation that names the conference since abstracts technically aren't really considered publications.

8. Street Philosopher

Street Philosopher freebird 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2000
    ann arbor
    Technically abstracts are considered publications according to my PI, but realistically, it's just an abstact. :p

9. ssd

ssd Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2001
    los angeles, ca
    oftentimes all of the abstracts at a particular meeting get published together as a supplement to a journal. if that's the case, you will be able to reference the abstract just as you would a manuscript. regardless, i would list abstracts and manuscript publications seperately.