Publication Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffywas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how to structure an update to schools regarding a published abstract. Do you just include the author list and title? Do you describe the findings?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering how to structure an update to schools regarding a published abstract. Do you just include the author list and title? Do you describe the findings?

Poster? Oral presentation? Journal? Are you first author? Local/regional/national conference?

Nobody in admissions will care about the findings.

Reactions: 1 user
Poster? Oral presentation? Journal? Are you first author? Local/regional/national conference?

Nobody in admissions will care about the findings.

First author, poster, international conference and published

Members don't see this ad :)
First author, poster, international conference and published
Was it published in the Conference Booklet, on the conference website, or in a paper journal (with a PubMed ID#)? Did you mention the upcoming conference or accepted abstract on your primary application? Did you present the poster?

Reactions: 1 users
Was it published in the Conference Booklet, on the conference website, or in a paper journal (with a PubMed ID#)? Did you mention the upcoming conference or accepted abstract on your primary application? Did you present the poster?

Its an abstract so it doesn't have a pub med ID but will be published in the journal (yes this is possible). I did not write about it in my primary application. I will be presenting the poster.

I am wondering how to actually structure the update. I don't know what the conventions are for mentioning publications in a "letter" format, if that makes sense. Is it weird to explicitly mention the "first author" aspect since it is apparent in the authorship order?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you should refer to your abstract as a publication.

Its an abstract so it doesn't have a pub med ID but will be published in the journal (yes this is possible). I did not write about it in my primary application. I will be presenting the poster.

I am wondering how to actually structure the update. I don't know what the conventions are for mentioning publications in a "letter" format, if that makes sense. Is it weird to explicitly mention the "first author" aspect since it is apparent in the authorship order?
At this point, the only interesting news you have to report in an update letter is that your first-authored abstract has been accepted by [conference name] and that you plan to present the poster on [topic] on [date] at [location]. A formal citation isn't necessary. Keep in mind that a "plan" to present is iffy, as many factors might intrude on its completion (funding, approval for time off, illness, PI preference, weather).

How long will it be until the conference? How long before it appears in print or e-pub ahead of print and will you be able to provide a link that goes to the abstract?