Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Publications and getting into a Top Tier Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bengirlxD, Aug 16, 2015.

1. bengirlxD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    So I just started this research assistant position at this hospital that is doing PTSD research and I personally love doing what I am doing. I get to contribute to a team that is driven to accomplish their goals. Unfortunately, since I am so new to the group, my chances of getting my name in one of the publications are still pretty slim since most of the first authors are acclaimed doctors and pre med students. However, I have an opportunity to complete an honors thesis project at my university in my junior year that will guarantee me a publication in my school's honors journal if my research is thorough and I complete 3 prerequisite classes (which I have slight interest but not significant interest in) before conducting the research. I really do love the PTSD project that I am involved in and I would have to sacrifice it in junior year if I am to conduct the honors research. I do have dreams of going into a top 20 med school. My question is whether not having a publication will significantly lower my chances of getting into the top tier schools even if I have a stellar GPA, MCAT score, clinical hours, and other EC's. I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.

#1 bengirlxD, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It all depends on what you mean by "significantly affect your chances". I think the best to tell you is that the majority of people at top 20 schools did not have publications in undergrad. No the presence of a publication will not have nearly the impact on your admission chances that your GPA and MCAT nor is it nearly as impactful as whether or not you had clinical exposure and volunteering experience to demonstrate altruism.

WedgeDawg, Doudline and bengirlxD like this.
  3. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
  4. bengirlxD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Thank you this is exactly the information that I needed. I am volunteering and having patient interaction as well so I greatly appreciate your input

5. Doudline

5+ Year Member

And it would be good to add that non-peer reviewed research publications does not hold much ground in... well... anything.

Goro and kinda_desperate like this.
  6. WedgeDawg

WedgeDawg not actually a dog
    Moderator Verified Expert 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It will not

7. avgn

avgn Lv 30, HP 85
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Coulda done a quick search on this for the same answer, which is no.

8. cantankerous

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Instead of focusing on research, you should be trying to do something big if you want to get into a top 20. Near Perfect MCAT, feeding millions of kids in Africa, setting up an extensive college prep program in Bum****, Mississippi, etc.

9. WedgeDawg

WedgeDawg not actually a dog
    Moderator Verified Expert 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Uh, you don't have to do anything like that. Just get solid grades, strong MCAT, do things you're passionate about and excel in them, and figure out why you want to become a doctor, then be able to communicate that articulately and succinctly. Do things you care about well and people will notice.

10. MSclerosis

Pre-Medical
    Publications are like icing on the cake.

If the cake is not cooked properly, the icing will not help you.

Focus on the cake.

bengirlxD, Gurby, avgn and 2 others like this.
  11. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The wise @mimelim has pointed out that the only way a lack of pubs might hurt you at a top school would be a lack of productivity relative to lots of research hours. Meaning, if you're spent two years in research, and don't even have a poster to show for it, something is wrong.

Now, not all will share this view. Science doesn't always work out. I spent a year in grad school on a dead end end project. When we started the project, we had no way of knowing that what we were trying to to do had no chance of success given what we learned about a year later. Our system just wouldn't allow it.

And publications are hard enough for grad students and post-docs to get, much less UH students.

So to answer your question, having a pub will always help, and lacking one won't hurt.

12. Cyberdyne 101

Cyberdyne 101 It's a dry heat
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What if it's ice cream cake?! :p

But seriously, that's a great analogy.