Publications questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightman13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing some clinical research this summer and have 3 papers going through the peer reviewing process for different journals right now. (1st author on 1, 2nd on 1 and 3rd on the other)

They have all been submitted to respectable medical journals. One is a case report, and the other 2 are retrospective studies.

Is being 3rd author okay or is it essentially worthless?

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing some clinical research this summer and have 3 papers going through the peer reviewing process for different journals right now. (1st author on 1, 2nd on 1 and 3rd on the other)

They have all been submitted to respectable medical journals. One is a case report, and the other 2 are retrospective studies.

Definitely not worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)

Is it okay? No, it isn't okay. Shame on you.

Seriously, any form of research publication (first, second, or third author) is something to be proud of. Many people have no publications and would be thrilled to be named third author.

This is summer research, and you're already first author after 2.5 months?

Uhh, sign me up for clinical research

let me ask a question here: is it okay to list submitted manuscripts under the "publication" category while indicating that they have been submitted and are under review?

As long as you indicate "in submission" that's fine. I would not put down the name of any journal since you do not know for sure it will be accepted. I have seen this done on many resumes.

how long does it take journals to accept/accept with revisions/reject submissions? if i submit something in may of next year (for entry in 2012), can i write applied for submission? when would they tell me?

how long does it take journals to accept/accept with revisions/reject submissions? if i submit something in may of next year (for entry in 2012), can i write applied for submission? when would they tell me?

Could take as fast as a couple of weeks to accept a really great paper. They usually get back to you within a couple of weeks, and how long it takes to get published depends on how fast you are to respond to the revisions.

let me ask a question here: is it okay to list submitted manuscripts under the "publication" category while indicating that they have been submitted and are under review?

Yes. Just write "(submitted to XYZ)" next to the entry. If you are working on a manuscript you can write "(for XYZ)."

wait so this is the entry:

Authors. "Title." Submitted to <Journal Name>. Date Submitted?

Different journals require different formats for references. If you mean for AMCAS, just be consistent.