Publications/Research and DO admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that publications/extensive research experience does not really matter to DO schools. Is this true?

I consider my research to be a big part of my app :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too important if you don't have it, but it's a great thing to have if you do have it. So don't worry, extensive research will be looked upon highly.

What most posters are trying to say is that it's not a "requirement" to be published when applying to med schools. However, publications are always a good thing, whether it's med school admissions or applying to residencies/fellowships

Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools don't rely as heavily on research as some MD schools. It will definitely look good, but it is like being a manager of a business and having a business related PhD. Sure it will be a benefit for bragging rights and will be of some value, but it isn't going to make your app for DO schools.

But research is very important to many staff members of med schools as they are generally PhDs doing research. If you get an adcom that loves research it could be huge for your app, but it is generally less important for DO schools. good positive though.

Last edited:
DO schools rely as heavily on research as some MD schools. It will definitely look good, but it is like being a manager of a business and having a business related PhD. Sure it will be a benefit for bragging rights and will be of some value, but it isn't going to make your app for DO schools.

But research is very important to many staff members of med schools as they are generally PhDs doing research. If you get an adcom that loves research it could be huge for your app, but it is generally less important for DO schools. good positive though.
Yes definetly not a negative at all... But also have other ECs like shadowing to show that you are interested in medicine.

I have heard that publications/extensive research experience does not really matter to DO schools. Is this true?

Not true. Adcoms were very pleased that I had just been accepted for publication as first author. As others here have said: it's not a "requirement" but if it is significant then it is looked upon highly. Now, if you had just "done a little research" for a few months with no publications... that's a different story.

Be proud of your accomplishments!

Not true. Adcoms were very pleased that I had just been accepted for publication as first author. As others here have said: it's not a "requirement" but if it is significant then it is looked upon highly. Now, if you had just "done a little research" for a few months with no publications... that's a different story.

Be proud of your accomplishments!

Thanks, that is awesome news.

The people I have talked to are obviously not aware of the real situation which is great because I have spent 3 years doing research with lots of pubs/presentations

It makes the biggest difference at the interview phase. If one or more of your interviewers are involved with research, it will definitely get you some points. Good luck!

Thanks, that is awesome news.

The people I have talked to are obviously not aware of the real situation which is great because I have spent 3 years doing research with lots of pubs/presentations

This will help you a lot when its time to match. Try to be a little productive during medicial school (a pub or two) and do well one step1/2 and you should have a lot of options when its time to apply.

This will help you a lot when its time to match. Try to be a little productive during medicial school (a pub or two) and do well one step1/2 and you should have a lot of options when its time to apply.

This might be a noobish question, but does undergraduate research/publications even help with residency applications? Or just medschool pubs? I'm definitely looking into doing research during medschool. I love it!

This might be a noobish question, but does undergraduate research/publications even help with residency applications? Or just medschool pubs? I'm definitely looking into doing research during medschool. I love it!

I would think that they do, or at least this is what I'd like to believe. But I swear I've seen conflicting opinions on SDN about this... so I'm not 100% sure. If residencies require a CV, then they will see you what you have accomplished. Then again, how many publications can one realistically get while attending medical school? Especially since a lot (most?) do it between M1 and M2.

yep, undergrad pubs help.

As someone whose application has a lot of research experience I can tell you that no school DO school I interviewed really cared except for KCUMB. And in fact many MD schools do not care either. However it does allow your application to stand out especially if you have publications or presentations.

Its much more important to have a solid GPA and MCAT along with some volunteering experience and DO shadowing experience.

I have 8 pubs...none of my interviewers including KCUMB really cared, I was even told by PCOM&KYCOM interviewers that I should have spent my time getting a higher MCAT/additional coursework than doing research...so it doesn't make up for below average stats.

I have a buddy who has no volunteering, shadowed one DO for a day, and got accepted to 4 schools due to his 30MCAT....so thats what really matters in the end of the day

did your buddy also have a really high GPA?

did your buddy also have a really high GPA?

Must have... If he had nothing else to show for his application as far as volunteering or research, then obviously his GPA and MCAT scores would be looked at/weighted more. I would not recommend or encourage anyone to just do what that buddy of his did. Risky maneuver IMO.

Last edited:
Must have... If he had nothing else to show for his application as far as volunteering or research, then obviously his GPA and MCAT scores would be looked at/weighted more. I would not recommend or encourage anyone to just do what that buddy of his did. Risky maneuver IMO.

3.3cgpa - had an F, couple D's.. 3.5sgpa.......but he did have a masters in architecture

I would definitely not recommend anyone not to strive for great EC's....but I'm simply stating that even the most amazing EC's won't make up for low grades/mcat...

Its disappointing to me that DO schools do not value research highly...making contributions to the field of science and medicine seem more important than volunteering at the local soup kitchen or following a doc around for more than a couple weeks. Sure you want to show that you want to be a doctor and help people, but research does end up helping people, and it takes a tremendous amount of dedication and knowledge.

Last edited:

Doing research and having publications is better than having no research and no publications, even when applying DO. Truthfully, some DO schools will weigh it more heavily than others, but I seriously doubt some will not care at all. Maybe some will not care that it is research, but it will carry itself as at least a valuable experience or extra curricular activity to even those schools. So basically it can only help your application, and it's awesome that you have done research/had publications because this will carry on with you and be valuable when you apply for residency IMO.

I would definitely not recommend anyone not to strive for great EC's....but I'm simply stating that even the most amazing EC's won't make up for low grades/mcat...

True. It all depends on what the numbers mean to the admissions committee and what they consider to be "low GPA/MCAT." If someone has horrendous GPA and MCAT then stellar ECs will not compensate. But if the numbers are decent or borderline and the ECs are awesome then I would say that the ECs definitely help boost the overall quality of the application.

Its disappointing to me that DO schools do not value research highly...making contributions to the field of science and medicine seem more important than volunteering at the local soup kitchen or following a doc around for more than a couple weeks. Sure you want to show that you want to be a doctor and help people, but research does end up helping people, and it takes a tremendous amount of dedication and knowledge.

I wouldn't say they don't value research highly. It's just the inherent fact that their resources are unfortunately limited in the research sector. In fact, some DO schools are starting to bolster their support of research through construction of research labs and buildings. This is awesome, but too bad that it won't be accessible to any of us applying right now. But of course, other DO schools already have research opportunities in place so it's just a matter of getting in there :cool:

I get your point about the benefits of research to society, which is especially why I value my research, but I think it's really about direct vs. indirect benefits and gains. Research is largely indirect because it requires professionals to read it and apply it, and even if you are doing clinical research with direct patient contact the drug is not always accessible immediately following the study. Volunteering is more direct in that there tends to be an immediate gain as far as direct contact with people. For example, you volunteer at a soup kitchen and directly benefit the community by providing hot meals to those in need right then and there.

Doing research and having publications is better than having no research and no publications, even when applying DO. Truthfully, some DO schools will weigh it more heavily than others, but I seriously doubt some will not care at all. Maybe some will not care that it is research, but it will carry itself as at least a valuable experience or extra curricular activity to even those schools. So basically it can only help your application, and it's awesome that you have done research/had publications because this will carry on with you and be valuable when you apply for residency IMO.

Exactly. :thumbup: Getting published can be addicting. Once you get your name on something, it's like:

359b3t.jpg