publics that take out of staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chucky85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i notice most public medical schools want students from their home state,
which public med schools do not discriminate in vs out of state students?
secondly, is it true that private schools offer better financial aid than public

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to get a copy of the MSAR and come up with your own list (for example, where do you live? Nobody is going to waste their time creating this list for you without knowing that)...also, when you are looking at an out-of-state public, the tuition is usually quite high, on a par with the privates...finaid in the form of grants and scholarships seems to be quite limited, and some schools give none at all...

secondly, is it true that private schools offer better financial aid than public

I know UVA's public and their demographics are 53% OOS, 47% IS.

Sucks for me since I'm from VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like someone else said - it really depends where you're from.

From what I remember:

Nice to OOSers:
SUNYs in NY are great to OOS
EVMS is ok, not great though

Bad for OOSers:
U of A absolutely will not look at you if you're not a resident
Hawaii, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kentucky, Indiana require that you can show ties to the state
A lot of the schools in the South aren't real friendly to OOSers

Those are just of the ones I remember looking at. Hopefully others can contribute more.

But pretty much you're going to be in a ton of debt whether you do private or OOS.

discriminate is a tricky word. UCLA and UCSF claim to have no preference, but the vast majority of their class is made up of in-state kids. OSU seems to be very friendly to out of staters also.

edit// echoing what angel said, SUNYs are good. Arizona a big no. Same with UWashington. OHSU is iffy, I'm not sure on that one.

depends on the school. Mayo and Stanford are extremely generous, RFU and USC famously not.

Texas schools are required to take at least 90% TX residents according to TX law, so put us on the not friendly to Yankees list. :D

North Dakota

OOS Acceptance Rate: 23%

:confused:

SUNYs in NY are great to OOS

2007-2008 MSAR shows SUNY Downstate matriculated 24 OOS students in a class of 187 (12.8%), and SUNY Upstate had 27 OOS'ers in a class of 120 (22.5%). I wouldn't call that "great". (Although 22.5% out of state isn't terrible for a state school.)

Were last year's numbers better?

-z

2007-2008 MSAR shows SUNY Downstate matriculated 24 OOS students in a class of 187 (12.8%), and SUNY Upstate had 27 OOS'ers in a class of 120 (22.5%). I wouldn't call that "great". (Although 22.5% out of state isn't terrible for a state school.)

-z

If you look 20% is a hell of a lot better than most state schools. I honestly don't remember what it was last year - I just remember it was higher than most other states and they don't explicitly give preference to in-state applicants (remember reading that on some of their websites).

UAB does take some out of state students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump - this is a great thread for anyone wanting to find out public's that take a lot of oos applicants...I'm interested in more responses too....

UMich takes a lot... Wayne State takes about 70 per year

illinois apparently loves californians. so if ur from california... just think of illinois as ur second home.

seriously, illinois needs to enact a texas type law.

stupid liberal states. gotta be fair to everyone.

While I realize many public schools are pretty strict on limiting OOS folks, I was surprised by how many public schools sent interview invites to me when I was applying.

Of course, I got not love from my home state. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: THIS WHOLE PROCESS MAKES NO SENSE!

OHSU, UMich, Ohio State, Wayne State, VCU, UVA, and maybe some others in the south that I am not aware of.... these are the ones that come to mind.

Note: These schools still give preference to IS applicants but it just isn't as slighted as the other state schools that come to mind. I would say most of these schools are still at least 60-70% IS matriculants so keep that in mind...

-z

That's just matriculants...couldn't they have offerd more positions to OOSers but they just chose not to attend?

UCLA geffen takes 99% in state (according to USnews). I'm OOS but my cousin goes to UCLA for MD/PhD... any chance for me? =p

That's just matriculants...couldn't they have offerd more positions to OOSers but they just chose not to attend?

This is why I prefer USNews data to the MSAR. It really can be a big difference -- at my school, only about 1/2 or the oos accepted students matriculate, so the 2 numbers are pretty different.

To add to the list, Oklahoma takes a limited # of oos students (like 15% or something like that), but you have to have strong ties to the state to be considered. The secondary for oos students is to write a letter about these ties.

illinois apparently loves californians. so if ur from california... just think of illinois as ur second home.

seriously, illinois needs to enact a texas type law.

stupid liberal states. gotta be fair to everyone.

Yes, but unless they are a URM, they'll have to deal with the large oos tuition

This is why I prefer USNews data to the MSAR. It really can be a big difference -- at my school, only about 1/2 or the oos accepted students matriculate, so the 2 numbers are pretty different.

To add to the list, Oklahoma takes a limited # of oos students (like 15% or something like that), but you have to have strong ties to the state to be considered. The secondary for oos students is to write a letter about these ties.

So is the data from USnews the percentage of acceptances or matriculates?

UCLA geffen takes 99% in state (according to USnews). I'm OOS but my cousin goes to UCLA for MD/PhD... any chance for me? =p

if i'm not mistaken, for MD/Ph.D., the OOS/IS distinction almost doesn't exist. even schools that take absolutely no one OOS, like university of washington, still take OOS MSTP students.

if i'm not mistaken, for MD/Ph.D., the OOS/IS distinction almost doesn't exist. even schools that take absolutely no one OOS, like university of washington, still take OOS MSTP students.

Sorry, I meant to ask for just the MD program-- will the fact that I have a family member going there already help me get into the MD program out of state? Or should I not even try with the 99% thing...

Way too hard to generalize. Some privates and some publics offer some scholarship to all matriculants. Some don't.

Assume you won't get getting any scholarship money and be pleasantly suprised if you are. A majority of us won't.

The best data I've seen is on this post:

I quickly thumbed through my old MSAR. Almost every U.S. public institution was about 80% or greater in-state. Notable exceptions:

North Dakota (I guess because of low population or some kind of agreement with another state)

Michigan--81 residents taken compared to 86 non-residents in 2004-2005 (BTW they require Ivy League numbers)

Ohio State--145 in-state vs. 64 non-resident in 2004-2005 (still near 75%)

Oregon--46 in-state vs. 62 non-resident in 2004-2005 (agreements with Montana and Wyoming)

Penn State--61 in-state vs. 66 non-resident in 2004-2005

Utah--75 in-state vs. 26 non-resident in 2004-2005 (still near 80%)

Vermont--31 in-state vs. 67 non-resident in 2004-2005

all Virginia schools

West Virginia--64 in-state vs. 37 non-resident in 2004-2005

Sometimes schools that are trying to enhance or keep up their prestige are more likely to let others in at the higher tuition rate, but keep in mind that the odds of non-resident admission at all of the above schools were tougher by several fold. By and large, the school of interest takes an MCAT of X for residents and MCAT of X + 5-10 for a non-resident (so you are still a much better shot in your home state).

Of course the level is more even in the Caribbean or U.S. private schools. The more prestigious the private school, typically the higher non-resident portion (though tuition is level save for scholarships). The exception here is Baylor which is really a state school wolf in private school sheep's clothing. Texas is a huge state that can easily stock such a prestigious school with its own residents, and since it is subsidized by the state, they are required to take mostly Texas residents. They must be doing something right, though.

AAMC has a more recent MSAR that you can buy from them for something like $30. It has almost everything you need to know in it as far as statistics are concerned.

I'll also put in a plug for the list that I made regarding good states to live in if you want to become a doctor. Just click on the MSAR link in my signature for that one.

I think NJ schools like Robert W. Johnson??

michigan state is public and seems to be good to OOS