Quantcast

PubMed Access

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
For those who access PubMed frequently, do you have any suggestions on how to get access without a school-affiliated hospital based system?

I've had access with an affiliate position through my fellowship from years ago (which has expired), then a public access study through Stanford...but my full access to PubMed expires in the coming months. Are any of you aware if you can get full access to articles as an individual provider? It seems pretty counter intuitive that the only way to access current journals is only through an affiliation or paying a study by study fee. Pretty frustrating if you, like me, utilize PubMed daily in your practice.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who access PubMed frequently, do you have any suggestions on how to get access without a school-affiliated hospital based system?

I've had access with an affiliate position through my fellowship from years ago (which has expired), then a public access study through Stanford...but my full access to PubMed expires in the coming months. Are any of you aware if you can get full access to articles as an individual provider? It seems pretty counter intuitive that the only way to access current journals is only through an affiliation or paying a study by study fee. Pretty frustrating if you, like me, utilize PubMed daily in your practice.

I had the same situation when I left Kaiser for PP. Now I am affiliated with a hospital - several - that has a fulltime library and they hooked my pubmed account to their library via loansome doc. I get all the abstracts for free from PM and order the full texts I need from the library using loansome doc. There is not charge for the fulltexts I order.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had the same situation when I left Kaiser for PP. Now I am affiliated with a hospital - several - that has a fulltime library and they hooked my pubmed account to their library via loansome doc. I get all the abstracts for free from PM and order the full texts I need from the library using loansome doc. There is not charge for the fulltexts I order.

Thanks @101N . Just stumbled upon Loansome details after posting this query (for SF and bay area libraries). Looks like the best possible option and fees vary from institution setup. Glad to hear it is working for you without any fees. Thanks for the feedback.