Puelto Lico?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hornet871

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What about residency in Puerto Rico? I'm lookin' for a lil' fun and adventure, a lil' beach time and fun in the sun. :cool: Hawaii is too expensive - plus, they don't have a great variety of residency programs (oh no, the Rainbow Warriors are going to descend on me now) - and not exotic enough for my taste, so why not Puerto Rico?

One resident told me, "If you're lookin' for adventure, why not train in sub-Saharan Africa?"

Truth is, I'd like to, but they don't have ACGME-accredited programs. Puelto Lico does.

My question, to any of you out there who might know, is: will it be tough to find a job in the U.S. post-residency?

Even though Puerto Rican programs are ACGME-accredited, do hospitals in the U.S. see "Puerto Rico" residency and automatically think to themselves, "Caribbean grad, FMG"? :confused:

I'm an American 3rd-yr student at a U.S. med school, but I have a foreign-sounding (but not Latino) name. Might that, coupled with a Puerto Rican residency, do me in?

My particular interest is anesthesiology, so if anyone knows about PR's anesth programs, or about PR programs in general and how they're looked at in the U-S of A, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

hi there, im a ms III at a medical school in puerto rico, PUerto Rico is a territorry of the USA so if you graduate from an AGCME residency in puerto rico you shouldnt have any problem getting a job in the usa mainland, but expect to talk spanish 100% of the time. I known alot of doctors who have done residency in PR and have gone to work in USA and vice versa, because of the political tides between PR and USA. PR schools are not regarded as carribbean school although is in the carribbean because again of its political tides, and students arent tittle IMG because again, the schools are in USA territory. All four medical schools in PR, 3 accredited by the LCME, are known as USA medical schools. any other question im glad to answer it, but again, you should have a very wide knowledge of spanish, because is spoken 24-7

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll never make it in Puerto Rico after all. It was a fun dream while it lasted....

On to HUNGARY!