Puerto Ricans/Dominicans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemEngMD

No need to hide behind private profiles
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if there are any Puerto Rican or Dominican URMs on here. I tend to get discouraged when it seems like the only place we get in is in Puerto Rico lol. If you look at the stats on AAMC the average Puerto Ricans MCAT scores are around a 24 for MATRICULANTS which is ridiculous and I assume is due to the fact that the Puerto Rican med schools have lower standards for the most part. If there are any of yall here I'd appreciate it, and maybe if any of you have friends who are at med school or who have been accepted that are PR or DR it'd be great to hear...I feel a little discouraged lol

Oh and does anybody know about Morehouse or Howard and how they accept hispanic applicants. I know they are traditionally black schools, but I didn't know if they were sympathetic towards Latinos as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn yall, 45 views and I can't get one response? That's sad my people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im Puerto Rican. I go to WashU, we definitely don't go to school only in PR :) If you have any questions just question send me a PM

Hey all!
I'm new to the forum and was just wondering if there are any Puerto Rican or Dominican URMs on here. I tend to get discouraged when it seems like the only place we get in is in Puerto Rico lol. If you look at the stats on AAMC the average Puerto Ricans MCAT scores are around a 24 for MATRICULANTS which is ridiculous and I assume is due to the fact that the Puerto Rican med schools have lower standards for the most part. If there are any of yall here I'd appreciate it, and maybe if any of you have friends who are at med school or who have been accepted that are PR or DR it'd be great to hear...I feel a little discouraged lol

Oh and does anybody know about Morehouse or Howard and how they accept hispanic applicants. I know they are traditionally black schools, but I didn't know if they were sympathetic towards Latinos as well.

Thanks!

Apply early and you may surprise yourself. Do you have great extra curriculum activities? That will help. Don't get discourage. Don't make the mistake of not applying.

Apply early and you may surprise yourself. Do you have great extra curriculum activities? That will help. Don't get discourage. Don't make the mistake of not applying.

Yeah I have lots of extra-curriculars I think. I've been the President of the Latin American Student Organization at my school for two years, a student senator (chair of membership committee, senate representative to the cultural affairs committee), public affairs officer for the pre-med club, distinguished scholar award recipient, couple of other scholarships, worked as an engineeirng intern for two semesters, calculus tutor for a few semesters...and this spring I'm about to start volunteering in the ER at my local hospital and I'll be heading to Latin America during May to do some missionary work.

I've also implored into doing some research in the Chemical/Biological Engineering Department at my university.

Oh and I am in the works of starting a multicultural fraternity at my 95% white state school. lol

Anything else you think I should look into for ECs?

Last edited:
Yeah I have lots of extra-curriculars I think. I've been the President of the Latin American Student Organization at my school for two years, a student senator (chair of membership committee, senate representative to the cultural affairs committee), public affairs officer for the pre-med club, distinguished scholar award recipient, couple of other scholarships, worked as an engineeirng intern for two semesters, calculus tutor for a few semesters...and this spring I'm about to start volunteering in the ER at my local hospital and I'll be heading to Latin America during May to do some missionary work.

I've also implored into doing some research in the Chemical/Biological Engineering Department at my university.

Oh and I am in the works of starting a multicultural fraternity at my 95% white state school. lol

Anything else you think I should look into for ECs?

Sound really good. I would say work on selling yourself on your personal statement and practice for your interviews. Some people with great MCAT, GPA and EC's messed up on their Personal Statement and Interviews. Don't over think it at this point in the game just apply and pray hard. Stay positive.

Good luck!!!!!

im half black and puerto rican and i made sure to mention that while i was speaking about "diversity" .. I GOT INTO HOWARD!

i'm half puerto rican! Born and raised in CA, go to school in LA, and will be attending UC Irvine next year!

I'm hopin to go to PR this summer, brush up on my spanish. I have never been!

i'm half puerto rican! Born and raised in CA, go to school in LA, and will be attending UC Irvine next year!

I'm hopin to go to PR this summer, brush up on my spanish. I have never been!
bienvenidos a puerto rico lol

PM if you want travel advice =)

(btw thats about as good as my spanish gets. grrr thanks mom)

bienvenidos a puerto rico lol

PM if you want travel advice =)

(btw thats about as good as my spanish gets. grrr thanks mom)

Haha word? That's sad :-( you only half Rican then?

Haha word? That's sad :-( you only half Rican then?
sad indeed. I can read it & write it & when forced I can speak but sadly not well. I'm 3/4 rican, 1/4 black (doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as half n half)

I was born in Puerto Rico and I got interviewed at Howard (still waiting) and got in one of my state schools (UT-Houston). Ive lived in TX for 22 yrs.

I'm Puerto Rican...lived in the US my whole life bc my Dad was in the Army for 22 yrs. I've been waitlisted by Duke and I've been accepted to Medical College of Georgia.

I'm looking to try and do future research about health disparities in the Latino community...is there anybody else looking into that? It would be nice to find some other people that have the same interest.

All these puerto ricans here andd not One Dominican!!! Well guess What!.

Now theres a whopping ONE dominican on SDN! Quisqueya LA Bella BABY!!

DominiCANO's Stand UP!!

or sit down lol

All these puerto ricans here andd not One Dominican!!! Well guess What!.

Now theres a whopping ONE dominican on SDN! Quisqueya LA Bella BABY!!

DominiCANO's Stand UP!!

or sit down lol

Man...I'm part platano too :laugh:

shhhh don't admit to that hunny!

:laugh: I kid I kid

Lyss!! Are you not admitting to little Jose that he is part Dominican? You can't keep that away from him!

Lyss!! Are you not admitting to little Jose that he is part Dominican? You can't keep that away from him!
he doesn't need to know! Jose will live a better life as a Rican :laugh: