Puerto Rico Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

asalazar

What do you guys know about Puerto Rico dental? Can you use your degree in the cont. U.S.?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the school is ADA accredited and graduates may practice in the US. You must be a PR citizen to apply to the school, except for the 5 positions they hold for US citizens.

I don't know how competitive those 5 held positions are.

ItsGavinC said:
Yes, the school is ADA accredited and graduates may practice in the US. You must be a PR citizen to apply to the school, except for the 5 positions they hold for US citizens.

Did you apply there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this is none of my business, but what's the reasoning for you choice of schools to apply to? It seems like a strange mix.

2 historically african-american schools with the lowest admission stats nationwide.
2 schools in the Northeast with the next two lowest stats nationwide.
And then the two schools in Florida and Puerto Rico?

Sorry, I'm just curious I guess.

CJWolf said:
I'm sure this is none of my business, but what's the reasoning for you choice of schools to apply to? It seems like a strange mix.

2 historically african-american schools with the lowest admission stats nationwide.

Yeah the "2 historically ..." are the "safety" one would call them. This guy at my school has a 3.0, no extrac., and he got in to Howard. I'm pretty sure there are other "better" safety schools but I have a while to think about that. Same goes for P.R. = one of the easier schools. People at my school call P.R. "Pina Colada Medical/Dental School" ... chilling on the beach. It's a joke.
NYU bc the perio I just started shadowing went there. Really love NY, and wouldnt mind relocating there, if it came down to it. Location is important to a lot of people, and I'm one of them.
Florida schools ... in-state.
These are just ideas, like I said, I have a while to decide.

CJWolf said:

:rolleyes:

DrTacoElf said:
If I recall correctly you are required to be fluent in spanish to even apply.

And all of there classes are done in Spanish (medical spanish would be tough)

DrTacoElf said:
If I recall correctly you are required to be fluent in spanish to even apply.
Yes. I'm fluent, so ... check? :)
Spanish was my first lang., its what we speak at home. I moved to the US in elem. school so I know how to read and write Spanish.

souperman said:
And all of there classes are done in Spanish (medical spanish would be tough)
I thought only some of the classes were in Spanish. Hmm. Yeah medical term. in Spanish will be different no doubt.

Also I believe that they require 4 semesters of English, just n kase u doesn't speak inglis I gess.

asalazar said:
Same goes for P.R. = one of the easier schools. People at my school call P.R. "Pina Colada Medical/Dental School" ... chilling on the beach. It's a joke.

I don't understand why anyone would say that... I'm from P.R., and many of our family friends are in health related fields who graduated from "Pina Colada Medical/Dental School". Most have moved to the Orlando area. They're some of the most well-to-do people that I know... :rolleyes:

IWuvTeef said:
I don't understand why anyone would say that... I'm from P.R., and many of our family friends are in health related fields who graduated from "Pina Colada Medical/Dental School". Most have moved to the Orlando area. They're some of the most well-to-do people that I know... :rolleyes:
Yeah. But it's a running joke, I guess. I don't know, thats what they say about it. Whats your name? I'm from Gville too.

asalazar said:
Yeah. But it's a running joke, I guess. I don't know, thats what they say about it. Whats your name? I'm from Gville too.

you prob don't know me since i just graduated. you can look me up in thefacebook.com

my first name is Nahir.

ItsGavinC said:

You seem to forget that ALL people born in Puerto Rico are US citizens from birth. As for classes some are conducted in spanish and some in english. ALL books, handouts and tests are in ENGLISH.

Dr Who said:
You seem to forget that ALL people born in Puerto Rico are US citizens from birth.

You're right, I'll rephrase it then. Five spots are held for "non-PR-resident US citizens."

Pero, no me olvidé de eso. Viví en Puerto Rico por un rato (vendí las televisiones via satélite). Ugh.
:thumbdown:

ItsGavinC said:
You're right, I'll rephrase it then. Five spots are held for "non-PR-resident US citizens."

Pero, no me olvidé de eso. Viví en Puerto Rico por un rato (vendí las televisiones via satélite). Ugh.
:thumbdown:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Puerto Rico dental"

The funniest thing I've seen so far on SDN.